Convert kg's to litres - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Convert kg's to litres

I'm thinking about purchasing this racking for a few shrimp tanks, it says on this website http://tinyurl.com/3z2llo4 that it will support up to 150kg per shelf.
Can someone tell me how much 150kg's is in litres?

Thanks for your help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
One liter of water masses one kilogram. You have to take into consideration the mass of the tank and substrate as well though, so there's really no clear conversion.

Here is a chart with filled weights for common sizes in the US. Dunno how well that will translate into UK sizes though.

ETA: From the site you linked, I'd bet that most tanks that you could fit on the shelves (36"x15") would be fine, excepting a very tall tank, especially considering the fact that you will lose a few inches on both dimensions just to be able to get it onto the shelf in the first place.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I just weighed 1 litre of water on our scales and indeed one litre is 1 kilogram as you said
So that would mean that 150kgs is 150 litres.
The tanks I'm thinking of using are 30 litre cubes so even with substrate etc, they wouldnt exceed more than 50 litres each meaning in theory I could have two on each shelf. Obviously that's a guesstimate but I'm thinking that two tanks will never be heavier than 150kgs.

Thankyou for making things a little clearer
Anyone using similar shelving for their tanks?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Not this one in particular but that type of unit will usually need some cross bracing.

What it will hold safely also depends on the weight distribution.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

cross bracing?
also are there proper aquarium racks like that available? I did a google but couldn't find anything specific :/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The problem with a shelving unit of that type is that it is extremely strong against vertical forces, but pushes from the side, especially when it's under a heavy load, can cause the entire unit to collapse because there is virtually no reinforcement against that type of force (it's called racking.)

The reinforcement is easy though, you'd just buy a longish strip of steel (or a perforated strip of steel, don't know what's available to you) and mount it diagonally across the back of the shelves by drilling holes in the appropriate places and bolting it onto the frame via the holes in the legs. It wouldn't hurt to do the same on the sides as well, but the back is the real concern, as the larger rectangle shapes are far easier to distort into parallelograms. The point is to convert those rectangular shapes into triangles that can't be distorted without tearing the shelving material apart. Multiple strips in multiple directions (a giant X, for instance, or a sideways V shape) would be even sturdier, but isn't necessary.

I've seen people using that type of shelving for tanks before (or pictures of it, anyway.) I've built my own from lumber, and for 3 smaller tanks of the size you're wanting, I use a very sturdy bookshelf.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode