Where do I find pot scrubbers?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Where do I find pot scrubbers??

I've checked like 3 different stores and have had no luck so far. Anyone know a good place to get them? I'm setting up my sump tonight hopefully and would like to get it going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty26 View Post
I've checked like 3 different stores and have had no luck so far. Anyone know a good place to get them? I'm setting up my sump tonight hopefully and would like to get it going.
I couldn't find them either in Tennessee. I ended up going with bath scrunchies.

Don
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Algae Grower

Walmart sells the scrunchies 2 for a $1.

Don

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
The dollar store has them next to the sponges:

They come in packages that look like this:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I bought mine at the local $.99 store.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
Those look like body scrubbers, they have different sizes and colors. Some places have them cheap others really jack the price right up there...

♡ Forever Farms Babydoll Southdown Sheep ♡
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I found mine at Family Dollar. Came in packs just like the picture posted above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Why not use bio balls?

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary908 View Post
Why not use bio balls?
People use them because they're much cheaper than bio balls or ceramic noodles. Personally I've always used ceramic noodles because they aren't prohibitively expensive and you get much more surface area for the volume they occupy. I've always heard that pot scrubers are not as efficient as bio balls and ceramic noodles but i've never seen any scientific data proving it. Perhaps they're on par or even better. I just go with the assumption that the bio balls are better. If you got a huge filter with space to waste, the pot scrubbers are probably a very good option.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalFizbin View Post
People use them because they're much cheaper than bio balls or ceramic noodles. Personally I've always used ceramic noodles because they aren't prohibitively expensive and you get much more surface area for the volume they occupy. I've always heard that pot scrubers are not as efficient as bio balls and ceramic noodles but i've never seen any scientific data proving it. Perhaps they're on par or even better. I just go with the assumption that the bio balls are better. If you got a huge filter with space to waste, the pot scrubbers are probably a very good option.
Very good point, didn't think of that as I can get bio balls very cheap where I work. Honestly though I bet the pot scrubbers do just as good a job as bio balls do. The bacteria really don't care what they grow on. We have a filter at work that just has shredded up plastic mesh and it works great.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Pot scrubbers can also be used as a course filter. That's what I use mine mainly for. I have 8 (i think) cramed into one of my sunsun baskets in three different layers. Usually the first layer and a half catches all the course junk. The top layer is clean and I'm sure the bacteria are working.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalFizbin View Post
Unless your bioload is very high and/or your filter is very small, there is no benefit of ceramic media or bio balls over any other media.
Its very unlikely people with planted tanks have enough ammo/nitrite to utilize the surface area of certain more expensive media.
Your bacteria will reach their eventual population no matter what you have in the filter provided its not empty, and most of them wont even live in the filter but rather on your hardscape and plants and substrate.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Found them! they only had 4 packs but i'll go back next week!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I would like to add a silly note, when this thread is at the top of the list in this forum, from the main page it shows up as "Where do I find pot..." which amuses me.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taari View Post
I would like to add a silly note, when this thread is at the top of the list in this forum, from the main page it shows up as "Where do I find pot..." which amuses me.
You must be high if you find that funny....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode