CO2 setup? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking CO2 setup?

im setting up a co2 setup on 55g with plants of course Ivegot half gallon glass pickle jar. wine yeast of course sugar and tubing how far below aquarium level does it need to be how much sugar and how much yeast? First attempt at the co2 so need feed back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hate to burst your bubble DIY co2 on a 55g is extremely ineffective. It would need lots of 2lt bottles to make even a small difference. DIY is really only effective up to 25g max.

Just Plantin' and prayin'

55g Bow front

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

900x750x450 optiwhite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
i had a co2 diy on my 75 gal tank and the difference was immediately noticeable
plants that were just sitting there for months doing nothing starting growing within days.
used 1 2 lt bottle, eventually added an other then abandoned it for tank and reg

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Algae Grower

I have DIY CO2 on my 55 and the pH dropped from 7.4 to 6.6 overnight. Mine stays at about 1 bps at all times.

Don

Last edited by deleted_user_11; 08-18-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Grammar
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I have high light, T5HO 78w. 40g. At first, I started out with 1 2L bottle yeast activated CO2. It was OK at first. As more plants were added and they were continue to grow, I added a second bottle. I staggered them because the rate CO2 is produced is inconsistent throughout the week, per bottle. The first couple of days, you will get more CO2 produced. At mid week, you get less. Basically, I have to change one bottle for every 3 day. I can live with that if it wasn't for the fact that a 5lb sugar would cost me $4. It would only last me a week or 2 to use them up on 2 bottles. It is too much work and not cost effective. Now, I upgraded to a paintball CO2 system. See here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sp...-complete.html

A 20oz CO2 tank would last me 2 to 3 months with 2 to 3 bps. The refill only costs me $6. The whole unit is only $41. For a 55g tank, unless you use low light, yeast activated CO2 won't cut it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
I have DIY CO2 on my 55 and the pH dropped from 7.4 to 6.6 overnight. Mine stays at about 1 bps at all times.
You must have one efficient diffuser/reactor if you can manage that by just injecting 1 bps on a tank that size.

Did you have a drop checker?

Tony

My

and my

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Feelgood View Post
im setting up a co2 setup on 55g with plants of course Ivegot half gallon glass pickle jar. wine yeast of course sugar and tubing how far below aquarium level does it need to be how much sugar and how much yeast? First attempt at the co2 so need feed back.
I would use a check valve in the line going to the tank. Also, you'll likely have an easier time with a 2L plastic bottle, since they are designed to seal against internal pressure and glass jars aren't. In any case, you're looking at roughly 2 cups of flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, and at least 2 cups of water, though adding more doesn't hurt at all and can keep the mix going longer if you like to let it run out before replacing. Add 1/4-1/2 tsp of yeast and wait.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
You must have one efficient diffuser/reactor if you can manage that by just injecting 1 bps on a tank that size.

Did you have a drop checker?
First of all, I am no expert. I am just getting started back in the hobby after a LONG time away.

It could have been something else with the pH but I know when I started the DIY CO2 the pH dropped definitely within a couple of days. All I am doing is a liter bottle of the yeast/sugar and a gatorade bottle for a bubble counter/filter. I am just using a plain old air stone for the diffuser. It stays running pretty strong all of the time.

The water out of the tap where I am is 7.8 pH. My tank is consistently at 6.6 now. The only change I have made is using Flourish once a week and the CO2.

Please don't think I am trying to make wild claims. Just giving what I thought was a objective comment. Certainly could be wrong.

Don
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eser21 View Post
Hate to burst your bubble DIY co2 on a 55g is extremely ineffective.
+1
The main issue is CONSISTANCY. Yes 2 or even 3 bottles are required, made on different days so that when 1 is "dying out" the others are there to pick up the slack UNTIL you can refill the now DEAD bottle. A whole lot of work for very little gain. TRUST ME I owned a 55 and ran DIY on it. Once you break that consistancy that's when the mean BAD BBA invades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willknowitall View Post
i had a co2 diy on my 75 gal tank and the difference was immediately noticeable
plants that were just sitting there for months doing nothing starting growing within days.
used 1 2 lt bottle, eventually added an other then abandoned it for tank and reg

ANYTHING is better than nothing, you could have gotten the same results with less work out of a bottle of excel. Its the consistancy that's the issue IN large diy tanks.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode