DIY Tap Water Filter? Am I doing anything? lol. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
DIY Tap Water Filter? Am I doing anything? lol.

So I thought since my tap water sucks, and I can't afford a RO unit or buying RO or Distilled water all the time, what if I could at least filter out some of the things from my water to make it a bit softer, especially in my shrimp tanks that I use shrimp soils to lower the pH, I find the harder the water going in, the long it takes to buffer the pH down, so I took a distilled water container, cut it off the bottom so it fits into my 5gal refill jug. At the bottom is a fine filter pad, then an ammonia removing pad, carbon pad, phosphate pad, bag of peat and more fine filter floss. I am slowly dripping water into the top from my shower nozzle, at the rate of probably taking 3-4 hours to fill up a 5gal jug, so its going slow.

I wish I had a TDS meter to test if its removing anything but I figure it has to be removing something from the water. Anyways, here's a pic.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
How much water do you need for the shrimp tanks? If you want softer water I'd get neutral reg which will precipitate out minerals...it's a phosphate containing compound. And once you use neutral reg run it through your filter which has the phosban in it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

1 5 gal jug probably lasts me a week or so for top off's.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

No, you're probably not doing anything. If your water contained organic contaminants or ammonia, this would take some of that out, I suppose, but most municipal supplies don't (though chloramine is a real possibility.) The peat is likely contributing something to the water, but the carbon should be pulling much of that right back out.

Unless you know exactly what is in your water and have a good background in chemistry to know how to precipitate whatever you want gone from it, adding things to your water is going to increase your TDS. Even then, it's probably going to be more expensive than buying distilled.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

lol. Ya i figured so. Was bored today and started playing. The other thing I just thought of though, is if I don't keep using it, the foam pads will stay wet and probably just harbor mold or bacteria.

Sump Pimp #2

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
It isn't doing anything to what you are looking for. Plus, you'll burn through this filter medium pretty quick... doing nothing.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
youre making yourself feel like youre doing something...that should count for something

Fraternity, Inc. #33

Last edited by Optix; 08-16-2011 at 03:20 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
It isn't doing anything to what you are looking for. Plus, you'll burn through this filter medium pretty quick... doing nothing.
My local Big Al's had a midnight madness sale, so I bought tonnes of the bulk pads in every kind possible, so figured I'd do something with them. I'll go back to mixing a bit of distilled water with my tap water, treat with prime, run with an airstone for 24 hours then use that instead. Its easier really. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Are you thinking of relinquishing some filter pads? They're the sponge type right? Are they in blocks? or is it just a pad? I'm looking to build some sponge filters.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...ro-system.html

cheapest decent ro/di system i have found

SunSun Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode