DIY attempt "sponge" filter w/polyfill - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (54/100%)
DIY attempt "sponge" filter w/polyfill

Got creative today with some extra stuff i had and decided to try to make a "sponge" filter with what ever i could find in my materials and house lol

To start i did not have a sponge to use, so i had to get creative. I first thought about cutting a bottle into the cylinder shape and filling it with the polyfill fiber, but this meant i had to cut lots of holes for the water to flow through and it would allow alot of surface area. So i decided to cut out and tie together plastic mesh with fishing line to cylindrical shape. I figured the mesh would allow the optimal amount of surface area and flow throw the polyfill fiber without the fiber escaping.

I cut out circles to fit the ends of the cylinder as well. For the uplift tube, I was looking around for an extra piece of PVC pipe or something that i could use and drill holes into.. but then i decided to just make another much thinner cylinder shaped piece of mesh. I figured this would get the most even flow throughout the polyfill fiber. The overall look was coming along like a regular hydro sponge lol from here I took some old left over plastic pieces from seachems metro medication and popped off the bottoms so i had little solid plastic cylinders and lined the mesh tube with them starting from the end of the fiber to the top.

Not sure if this all makes sense, but i just set it up and will be checking it in the morning to see how much material has been sucked in and if it is effective.

Thanks for reading! Ill post back on how well my idea worked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Don't you just love plastic canvas?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ya! Lol it's very handy. I had it left over from a moss wall I made a while back.

Click image to check out my 40g Shrimp Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I work in the fabric & crafts dept of Walmart. When I see creative people on here doing stuff like this, I look at our stock a whole different way...lol
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have other creative ideas using it with moss as well lol but that's gotta wait cause I have discus now and the 84 degree water doesn't like to grow mosses

Click image to check out my 40g Shrimp Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode