DIY overflow box? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
DIY overflow box?

I'm going to switch from a 50 long to a 40 breeder soon and I wanted to set it up with either a 10 gallon or 20 long sump with a refugium. I know how to do everything in the sump I'm just not sure yet about how to build a good overflow box that won't make a lot of noise. I also don't want this to be a very noisy one. Any ideas? My return pump is a maxijet 400 or 600 can't remember or I was thinking of using my odyysea cfs 500 for the return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
I have heard them all. If quiet is the goal, BeanAnimal style overflows are your best bet.

TPT member jcardona has this style on his 190 gallon discus tank.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
+1 for the beananimal -- I hope to do my next tank that way. A Durso downpipe would be another option, less complex, but with some other trade-offs.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Would I need to drill the tank for that system though? I was looking on youtube and I saw this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsPqu...eature=related
He uses a premade overflow box but using the specimen containers I have heard people use, Could that be DIYed?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Interesting. I'm thinking that there might be enough space in that box for a Durso topper, or a "gurgle buster" attachment. I'm on my phone browser so I'll let you Google those. :-)

Certainly you could use something with that over-the-top approach rather than drilled, but you will need some way to guard against a loss of siphon on it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just found this DIY on the tpt site. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ilter-who.html looks pretty solid and very easy to make. I would add the extra elbow hoppy suggested for the surface skimmer. Anyone see any faults with it?
The pvc seems less intrusive into the aquascape as well. No box, just a few pipes I could krylon black paint them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I remember looking at this a month or so ago and finding it impressively clever at the time. I think if it does what you want that's all the answer you really need. Besides, PVC is pretty cheap.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode