Creative way to mount a diffuser directly under a HOB outflow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Creative way to mount a diffuser directly under a HOB outflow?

I've been racking my brain for a little while, and haven't come up with anything really workable. Just curious if anybody figured out an easy way to position an in-tank diffuser directly under a HOB outflow? Paperclips, rubber bands, string, that sort of thing. Aesthetics are not a major concern. Cost is.

Suction cups just don't seem to push them out far enough from the wall, and it's not worth it to me to invest in another powerhead.

If I get nothing here, I may just position it under the intake and deal with the gurgling.

One last thought - cheap glass/ceramic diffusers are a crapshoot. I realize this. Some work surprisingly well, some don't. For those that don't, rather than take a gamble and try a new one, I'm looking for a workaround. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stick it in the gravel under the outflow... What makes it to the surface will be distributed. I have mine under my canister outflow near the surface of the gravel.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Plant Clown

That's pretty low. I'm looking for as much flow over the diffuser as possible, and it'll be much reduced at substrate level. ...Still, that's not a bad idea, and exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
The only thing I can think of is mounting the diffuser stem to a bent plastic stem (L shape) and then sticking the other end of it to to the suction cup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reybie View Post
The only thing I can think of is mounting the diffuser stem to a bent plastic stem (L shape) and then sticking the other end of it to to the suction cup.
This was my first thought as well.

Hot glue? If it sticks to both it shouldn't take any time to cure. Dunno about the orientation of your diffuser/outflow.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Use a combination of ridgid air line and suction cups. I've done this before in the past. The tubing can be heated and bent into all sorts of shapes that will work. Use short sections of normal air hose to connect the diffuser to the ridgid tubing. The ridgid plasic air line is availible at almost all pet shops i've ever been in.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Plant Clown

I like the rigid tubing idea, thanks! I'll grab some this weekend. Not sure how easy it will be to bend thin rigid tubing without kinking it, but I'll find out
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/92%)
I put my diffuser directly under the intake and because the bubbles are already very small it doesn't make any noise in the filter.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I run an atomic diffuser a couple of mm above the gravel under the outflow of a HOB with no noticeable bubble loss.

Getting back to the hobby and up to speed.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Kev - I have a Marineland HOT. Beneath it, I have a bubble ladder. For me, the bubbles actually go into the intake and get pulverized. No added noise, trust me.
Same concept if I just shifted it under the outflow.. it blows the bubbles into the tank. If it's co2, get a bubble ladder. I like them... fun to watch and easy to hide with J. Val.

Other Tanks: Fluval Edge, 20G Long Grow Tank, 55 Gallon Angel, 20G Tall Breeder
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Algae Grower

I just used the inflow. If you put a sponge around the inflow and use a diffuser or air stone below it, the bubbles get sucked up slower and it doesnt make noise

20 Gallon High- Diy co2, 48w, flourite. Still new to this whole planted tank thing

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode