Bulk Dechlor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
Bulk Dechlor

Sometime in the future I will be developing a fish room. Part of my plan is to have some things a little easier than I currently do them like water changes which I now do with buckets and the like.

What I plan to do is have a system plumbed above tanks for water inlet that is temperature balance to about 80 degrees or so and have a perijet type of devise that will mix dechlor in the water delivery system piping on its way to the tank(s) just prior to filling.

Two questions:

1. Does or can dechlor be obtained in gallon or five gallon containers? (I suppose it could) Further I read somewhere that there is a powdered alternative.

2. Does anyone now how such a mixing system could be developed or if it has already been done could someone share their thoughts and plans about that?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Don't know about bulk dechlor, but is there any way to set up a storage tank or the like to age the water? Then you wouldn't need dechlor at all. Definitely the way to go if you have to change a lot of water. I think I've saved a small fortune on my 180 by aging the water instead of buying dechlorinator.
Sorry, I guess I didn't answer any of your questions, lol

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Get Chloram-X or Chloramine Buster.

Chloram-x is the powdered option. Both have about the same cost per gallon.

Sick lid, if you have chloramine, you MUST use a dechlor or RO/DI. It is not removed by evaporation. The cost of a tank big enough for me to age would cost way more than several years of dechlor.

No need for a mixing system. I use a hose, dump water in tank and put the dechlor in while filling. I do 50-90% water changes. It usually promotes breeding more than anything else...

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Only chlorine here. Also, I had understood that if adding dechlor directly to the tank during water changes, you needed to add enough to treat the whole volume of aquarium water, not just the amount you are replacing. This is what made it pricey on my 180. Perhaps this is only for some types/brands? Help me out here, but I'm sure I have read it in several sources over the years.

180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick lid View Post
Only chlorine here. Also, I had understood that if adding dechlor directly to the tank during water changes, you needed to add enough to treat the whole volume of aquarium water, not just the amount you are replacing. This is what made it pricey on my 180. Perhaps this is only for some types/brands? Help me out here, but I'm sure I have read it in several sources over the years.
People say this, but I stopped doing it years ago with no problems.

Also, when you use a product like chloram x, 5 lbs treats 18,794 gallons, for 25 dollars.

If you changed 90 gallons a week you'd get 208 water changes. If you dosed for the full 108, you'd still get 104 water changes. For 104 water changes that is 33 cents per change. If you dosed for 90 gallons, you'd get about 16.5 cents per water change for dechlor.

I prob lose more change than that per week.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
I have a 10lb. tub of cloram-x (treats approx. 1 whillion gallons of tapwater) that I bought forever ago. I have always dosed it dry.

If you want 100% automatic water changes, there are a few different options of varying complexity and cost.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Currently I age my water but I only use 50 gallons a week ... yes I use the buck and storage method but after I set up the fish room it will be more like 2500 gallons each week.

We only have chlorine here in our water.

As for the need to simplify I am not ambulatory (wheelchair). The mixing system is not a luxury but almost a requirement to allow me to keep this many tanks. Right now with five tanks I am at my time/physical limit to keeping up with the hobby almost to the point of chore when I have completed my water changes and refilled my stores I am nearly exhausted physically. I almost would rather plow a 100 acres of land with a plow shard and horse. If that gives you a picture.

Yes I was being sarcastic.

I really enjoy my hobby and I am looking forward to expanding it in many ways (now if I could get the fish to feed themselves)

So, any ideas on a liquid mixintem?

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
I have a 10lb. tub of cloram-x (treats approx. 1 whillion gallons of tapwater) that I bought forever ago. I have always dosed it dry.

If you want 100% automatic water changes, there are a few different options of varying complexity and cost.
It doesn't have to be totally automatic ... that takes away from the fun and attention to the fish. I just need something that premixes as I add it to the tank.
I will post a diagram later.

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
wow, 5 lbs box of cloram-x treats 18,794 gallons. Not bad for $50. you could allways use a autofeeder to auto drop the powder in after WC?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Jealous. We get ripped off up here. Sooo badly. Most stores only have AquaPlus, for 40 bucks taxes in for a 2quart jug . Treats 2000 US gallons for chloramine, or 4000 US gallons for chlorine. Treating 180gallons at every change ate through a jug pretty quick. I just use a 40gallon rubbermaid bin, plumbed to fill and drain. Easy peasy.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
That never made much sense to me. If you are adding x volume of water to a tank with 2x volume of water why would you need to treat for 2x water when you are only adding x. seem like a ploy to sell stuff to me.

just my $0.02

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespastor View Post
It doesn't have to be totally automatic ... that takes away from the fun and attention to the fish. I just need something that premixes as I add it to the tank.
I will post a diagram later.

Best wishes,
Wes
But why?

You would need a peristaltic pump. It'll end up costing more than any other solution.

I seriously just use chloram x. I have a GARDEN hose hooked to garden faucet, running in my door. I dump water out the door to the lawn, fill back up and while filling grab the measuring spoon and pour the powder in.

You don't need to do anything special to it and the results of using a dosing pump would be the same. The only thing that would be different is the higher level of failure: ie not enough or far too much dechlor.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
If you are adding x volume of water to a tank with 2x volume of water why would you need to treat for 2x water when you are only adding x. seem like a ploy to sell stuff to me.

just my $0.02
apparently because it is getting diluted by the rest of the tank water. The reason they say to treat it before you add the water to the aquarium.
JSYK, I have read and heard both sides of the debate countless times over the years, somebody is right, might not be me. *shrugs*. I just do what works for me

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
apparently because it is getting diluted by the rest of the tank water. The reason they say to treat it before you add the water to the aquarium.
They SAy, but I don't think that is actually the case.

Like I said, I've been doing it this way for two years on around 1400 gallons of tanks. From hardy fish to some delicate shrimp, no problems.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

But I read it on the internets

Tags
bulk dechlor, fishroom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode