DIY stand for 20l - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
DIY stand for 20l

it's not the most beautiful piece of furniture i've built, but it's certainly the first!

and it isn't complete.

I'm using 2x2 poplar posts for the legs, 1x3 poplar boards for the rails between the legs, and potentially 1x2 poplar boards for more support if needed.

legs are 30" tall, side rails are 11" and the front/back are 28.75". ultimate this means that the tanks corners should fall dead center of each leg and the rest of the tank should run along where the rails are.

it's not perfect... i doubt it's plum... and i'll let you know when it's done if it's level haha.

i'm using 90 degree brackets under each rail to attach to the leg and gorilla glue for the wood to wood contact.

my work space isn't the greatest... i need tear out the work table that the house came with and build a new one more appropriate for wood work. Our community college actually offers a degree in wood work... so there are around a dozen classes in wood work, which i intend on taking. I've got a strong desire to build things out of wood but not the tools nor the knowledge. It's funny b/c i'm in IT (programming websites) and i really would rather do something more hands on.

anyway, here are two pictures. an, almost, overall with the clamps still on the top and a close up of the joints.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	283538_2262445207052_1426121814_32575446_7159116_n.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	33313  

Name:	285118_2262445447058_1426121814_32575447_7103794_n.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	33314  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like the look of it and I'm looking forward to seeing it come together. Out of curiosity, do you plan on putting piece of wood on top of the stand and then the tank on that, or the tank directly on the legs?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews02r View Post
I like the look of it and I'm looking forward to seeing it come together. Out of curiosity, do you plan on putting piece of wood on top of the stand and then the tank on that, or the tank directly on the legs?
thank you

i have a piece of wood going on top. it should overhand around 3" on all sides. I don't trust my work 100% lol, so the extra wood is for both safety and appearance. I've also got a plank for a shelf on the bottom. I need to notch that slightly to fit around the corners but it's still a little too short... i need 13" or so to reach front to back on the rail, the piece is only 12".

I plan to make a stand for my 90g in the future of similar design but do a better job hiding hardware and perhaps using dowel for the joinery. Or if i can convince myself, purchase a dove tail jig and router.

I need to figure out how i want to stain this one though... and if/when. I've got my 20l on a stand already with an inch of water to keep the stargrass alive while i build this... so it might not get stained

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
A clear coat on poplar can bring out a really nice green color if you were lucky enough to get that in the wood. Uncoated poplar is quite nice as well though, in my opinion. Nice stand!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
A clear coat on poplar can bring out a really nice green color if you were lucky enough to get that in the wood. Uncoated poplar is quite nice as well though, in my opinion. Nice stand!
thank you. i may give it a shot.

there are some screw holes where i messed up with drilling straight so i'm not sure how much effort i'll put into making this thing look beautiful

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
could always fill the holes with a "stainable" wood putty. You'll still be able to see the holes when you're done, but doubtful anyone else will
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

bottom rails all on. the top is just there for an idea... i thought it would be much larger than it is but my measurements were off for the better! it's a perfect fit
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	281551_2264659582410_1426121814_32578764_3407162_n.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	33331  

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That will be a very nice looking stand, but I'm nervous about its resistance to "racking", since it has nothing but the angles, attached with screws, to stop racking. I'm not saying you will have a problem, but I do suggest you sit on the top and shift your weight back and forth front to back and side to side, to see what happens.

Hoppy
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
That will be a very nice looking stand, but I'm nervous about its resistance to "racking", since it has nothing but the angles, attached with screws, to stop racking. I'm not saying you will have a problem, but I do suggest you sit on the top and shift your weight back and forth front to back and side to side, to see what happens.
I definitely will run it through some tests. I've sat on one of the long rails and no movement. It's already sturdier than the pier 1 piece and doesn't move side to side when pushed around by hand.

Each piece of wood has also been secured with gorilla glue and clamped for hours. I have some 1x2 poplar I purchased in case I need to reinforce the stand. Those would be cut at 45degrees and pocket screws used for the joinery.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

aaaand the final product in place.

Both my girlfriend and I sat on this and rocked around and it didnt shift. It's much sturdier than the pier 1 piece it's replacing.
Attached Images

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
... I need to notch that slightly to fit around the corners but it's still a little too short... i need 13" or so to reach front to back on the rail, the piece is only 12".
I keep cutting it off and it's still too short

Couldn't resist

The base looks great!!

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That looks very good! You picked out some very good proportions for the whole stand and each piece. I'm glad you "tested" it first. That method of testing is pretty well foolproof for tanks weighing 100-200 pounds. Bigger tanks just need bigger testers.

Hoppy
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
That looks very good! You picked out some very good proportions for the whole stand and each piece. I'm glad you "tested" it first. That method of testing is pretty well foolproof for tanks weighing 100-200 pounds. Bigger tanks just need bigger testers.
thanks! it came out pretty good... with a little luck and math involved.

I based the width and length on the tank itself, but the height was merely me measuring the old stand's legs at 30", so i stuck with that.

And the two of us together are just north of 300lbs, so i'm pretty confident with the stand... still going to have nightmares about it lol

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
REALLY GOOD LOOKING STAND!!!

I to like the dimensions and style! With the Glue and clamp method it should hold up 4 years! I am into woodworking myself, and enjoy it very much! I would 4sure look into those classes You were talking about! I took Woodworking/Cabinet Building in High School, and I have been SOOO Happy I did! You will learn a lot, and with just a few tools You can build almost ANYTHING you can afford to buy the wood for!

Keep up the GREAT WORK!
Drew
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
Both my girlfriend and I sat on this and rocked around and it didnt shift.
Maybe you two weren't doing it right... sorry couldn't resist.

Awesome build, I love the open look for smaller tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode