Tuning sump overflow size - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tuning sump overflow size

I'll be building a sump for an upcoming project in the near future:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/vi...ium-build.html

I have a question about the overflow into the sump.

Initially I had planned to use a very large pipe maybe 1.5-2" to ensure the drain could always keep up with the pump, but now am wondering if that's going to cause a "flushing toilet" sound. I thougt maybe a drain with a step in it might be quieter (Say neck down from 2" to 1.5-1".).

Does anyone know of a place where I can find flow rates of different diameter pipes mounted vertically and powered by granity?

Maybe I am overthinking this (It's easy enough to do when DIY is involved.) and should just use a big, honking drain pipe that empties below the water level in the sump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
The sump on my 80g has a large pipe (~2") and does make a loud noise if I don't position the filter above it just perfectly. It can be very annoying to get it adjusted sometimes.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
'Bout 2/3 down the page: http://www.beananimal.com/articles/h...-aquarist.aspx

He has a great overflow solution on the site as well.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
I really struggled with finding this kind of information setting up my sump and found it strange with all the reef sites but Google brings up pretty good results these day.
A one inch hole will drain around 600gph gravity fed using an overflow like a Durso stand pipe which is what I have on my two drains. One inch is claimed to handle a lot more if done by vacuum like the Bean Animal drain but I haven't plumbed one of those yet. I will say however you choose to set things up having a second 'safety' drain brings peace of mind over time.

Following the DIY and think it will centerpiece the room and be a dominant focal point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My drain will take water at the surface and travel straight done through the bottom into the sump. No bends, etc. It won't be a hang on the back type of overflow.

Sounds like I may be pushing it if I use 1", so I'll go a little bigger.

Windk,

Can you elaborate on the "safety" drain if possible. How did you set yours up?

I never considered this as I felt an open pipe would be unlikely to clog.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I believe he meant a redundant drain line, but there are some pretty refined forms out there.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could prowly adapt what Bean Animal described to a through-the-floor drain by using pipes of differing heights, the hard siphon would be shorter than the other two, and "soft" siphon a bit taller, and the "open" drain pipe tallest of all, but that would require a large enough overflow box to accommodate three holes. That should make for some interesting thinking for me ....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

After reading the link, I think I will just use a very large pipe so the air column is not disturbed.

I don't think a 4" pipe is likely to clog. Since it will be a straight shot into the sump there hopefully will be little noise if I have the outlet from the drain below the waterline in the sump. Running water noise doesn't bother me, it's gurgling that I was concerned about.

4" bulkheads are pricey, but will be worth the peace of mind.

Thanks everyone for your posts and links.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A 4 incher would give you a lot of capacity while allowing the water to "stick" to the sides, and as you say, it would be pretty ... resistant to cloggage.

Another interesting thing for me to think on. I'd really appreciate knowing how it works out for you, if you wouldn't mind sharing the results when you get there.

I have "spousal" permission to upgrade my aquarium when I retire, so I've got about 20 years to think how I want to do it. by the time I actually get to, I'll prowly have done it at least a thousand times over in my head.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

In my particular case, the overflow will be in a paludarium where the water level is low and the drain can easily be hidden.

This may be more difficult to achieve in a standard aquarium set up, unless you can mask the pipe or use a false wall.

In any case, if you follow my build thread, I'll definitely post pictures. (linked in the first post)

20 years is probably about how long it will take me to finish the project judging by the amount of time I've been able to spend on it so far.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dandy! I've added it to my subscription list.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode