Goldfish. A quest for easy NO3 Reduction. It might be working?
Hey guys. I have not posted in a while. but I have had some progress in the quest to not have to change the goldfish tank water every week.
I replaced my aquarium sump with a plastic one. I figured the pump would shake it apart eventually. So I got some of these lovely bins. Only problem is they cannot be glued. and the bulkheads leak if the silicone moves a bit. so i hope I don't pump them lol. But they are designed so they can run when disconnected by the bridge. The second is just for a water capacity increase. It has a bin with a deep sand bed though.
The first bin has an algae turf scrubber that still needs a better surface installed, then a baffle box with spreader pipes (pipes with holes that evenly spread the flow which forces the water to pass up though some media. The old one forced it to go down and it eventually found the faster rough around the media. The ATS is not running 100% good. it needs a new media. it is only making about half of what it should. Which is 4 cups of algea.
Then there is the denitrification coil. The prototype clogged as all do. So I got some thicker spiral hose for gardens and used that. It is also completely dis aseembable so if it clogs internally I can open it with a monkey wrench. It just recently (after 3 months) started spitting out 0 ppm nitrate water.
This adjustable thing controls the height of the water in the other box. It helps reduce noise as well. It is very very quite system.
Algea turf scrubber access. it is hard to access cause of the way the water flow is.