how to wire cpu fan to electricity?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
how to wire cpu fan to electricity??

I have problem cooling my tank cheaply! so I read threads and chose to use one of my computer cooling fan.

so.... how to make the fan spin guys??? I need help... thx!

-btw, my fan has 4 wires.... so im like wth... I thought theres only 2 wires for everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
2 of the wires are the power, the other 2 are probably for a controller, so your computer can regulate the fan speed.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Red and black is all you need. Find an old power adapter from something like an old cordless phone, radio, something that is rated 9-12v.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
To expand on the power adapter I would throw a switch from radioshack on the setup. Just solder the switch between the adapter cord and fan so you don't have to unplug it in and unplug all the time.

I never needed the "For Dummies" book for my dogs but for a glass box WoW.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

The adapter will typically have 2 black wires (kinda like stereo cord.) The one with white writing on it is the positive, connect that to the red fan wire (solder + shrink tube/electrical tape) and the wire with no writing to the black.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Agreed with the above, but I'll add two quick points.

1) Make sure that your 9v to 12v (or any voltage in between) is rated to give at least 500mA, preferably 750 or 1,000. If your fan has a current rating given on it, just make sure your power supply is than capable of supplying the needed current. Some 9-12v power adapters are very low yield, most aren't.

2) Don't fret polarity. If you wire the fan backwards, it just blows backwards. No harm at all, just orient the fan to blow whatever way you want it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIBluepitIxI View Post
To expand on the power adapter I would throw a switch from radioshack on the setup. Just solder the switch between the adapter cord and fan so you don't have to unplug it in and unplug all the time.
SMART!!

btw, I have green, black, blue, yellow....

man...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If the wires aren't identified by markings on the fan casing, or in any paperwork that came with it, just try them to see what works. You're unlikely to hurt anything if you stay within its rated voltage.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 AM
Planted Member

What is the MA rating on the fan? What I did for the canopy I just built is I got a AC to DC converter for car cigarette lighter socket items. It cost me $1.99 on ebay with free shipping. It's only rated for 650mA though, luckily my fan was 600 mA lol. Then what I did was took the Black and White wire from an old cell phone car charger that I didn't need anymore and hooked it up to the computer fans black and red wires. Works like a champ.

Computer fans are all over the place with wires - and it sounds like the fan you got is temperature controlled. Easy to do - you are talking about only 12v and very low amperage - just take the two wires you have power to and start trying combinations - only one combination will work.

However if I had to bet on it... yellow is positive and black is negative - just my guess though.

Good luck - feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions - as I said, I just did this myself
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 08:30 AM
vim
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
btw, I have green, black, blue, yellow....
http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/...U%29_4_Pin_Fan

you'll be wanting the black and yellow wires
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishsc View Post
Agreed with the above, but I'll add two quick points.

Don't fret polarity. If you wire the fan backwards, it just blows backwards. No harm at all, just orient the fan to blow whatever way you want it.
this iis absurd.. do u understand dc? direct current there are very few things dc that i know of that can run backwards...
computer fans are not oone of them, if u wire it wrong dont fret. it just wont turn on

green black blue yellow wires indicate that it is probably a cpu fan for variable control. or its a fancy variable control anyways. most of the time tho, variable control that arent for cpus, run red and black for positive. black is most likely ur ground. and blue ur power

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Planted Member

Case fan or CPU fan?

Pin 1 is always ground (usually black)
Pin 2 is 12v (yellow)
Pin 3 is fan speed sensor (green)
Pin 4 is fan controller (optional)

If your wiring it into USB, heres the pin out

4 wires:
-- Ground (black)
-- Data - (white)
-- Data + (green)
-- 5v (red)

12v fans will function on 5v, 7v and 12v. Feeding it 5v (USB power) is the slowest fan speed. If your plugging into a PSU (Molex) there are different ways of wiring it for different voltages.

My bubbles
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
this iis absurd.. do u understand dc? direct current there are very few things dc that i know of that can run backwards...
computer fans are not oone of them, if u wire it wrong dont fret. it just wont turn on
I stand corrected on this, I just went and tested it, and they indeed didn't run backwards. Although there are two things I'd like to point out.

1) I have an amazing track record b/c I've totally ignored polarity on every DC fan I've ever wired up (about a dozen) and never once had a problem.

2) Arrogance and insult are pitiful ways of correcting someone.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
yeah my bad, it was a bad morning. i didn't really mean to take it out on you

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode