DIY Cover/Lid for my 10g? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Cover/Lid for my 10g?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice for my first (hopefully simple) DIY project for my 10g nano!
I have an open top rimmed tank with a desk lamp shining on it, with a HOB filter hooked on.
But recently I got these dwarf crayfish, and apparently they climb out without a lid
I'm thinking of getting some plexi glass or something and cutting a hole in it for the HOB intake, or getting a piece of wire-mesh to do the same.

I'd like it to be as simple and clean as possible, and hopefully with minimum obstruction of light. The tricky part for me is how to cut a precise enough hole around the HOB intake so that a tiny 1" crafish can't get out? I don't have much DIY experience, so even obvious advice would be really appreciated!

here's my tank:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You sure they can climb glass and/or silicone? Are they likely to commit suicide? I mean it's one thing for a fish to blindly jump and happen to land on the floor, but a crayfish would have to climb up and out, suffocating itself in the process...

My snails sometimes climb out of the water, but they never stay there for very long.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have kept many crayfish, and while regular crayfish are escape masters, in my few experiences with CPOs and the Cajun dwarfs I didn't see any escape attempts. but they are expensive enough where I can see you wouldn't want to chance it.

cgg, crayfish can survive for hours out of water, so they are not necessarily suffocating as soon as they leave water. They like to explore and don't realize they cant get back or there is no other water around. I did hear of an interesting trick of leaving a shallow bowl of water at the base of the stand, so any escapees had a chance of finding water to stay wet until you found them.

As for a DIY project, I doubt you would be able to beat the pricing of those aqueon glass lids you can buy at petco or online. They hold up pretty well and I believe the 10 gallon models are around 10 dollars. The wire mesh would work, but would obstruct much more light than a cheap glass hood and would be difficult to attach and keep from bending or bowing. Glass hoods have the added benefit of reducing evaporation (less top offs).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthyologuest View Post
I have kept many crayfish, and while regular crayfish are escape masters, in my few experiences with CPOs and the Cajun dwarfs I didn't see any escape attempts. but they are expensive enough where I can see you wouldn't want to chance it.
exactly... These are my first CPO (love them!), and I'd really hate to find them fallen on the floor or something... But great to know that you didn't have that problem with your dwarf crays.
I guess the basic glass cover would be the easiest. Maybe cut a hole in the plastic piece in the back for the HOB intake? Thanks for the info!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Happy to help, CPO's are awesome! Heartbreaking to lose them. Yeah those glass lids have plastic backs that are SOBs to cut, but you can trim them almost exactly around the contour of the filter, and maybe stuff some sponge in any potential escape holes.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I did exactly that (somehow got a decent cut in the plastic) and it's working great!
If u could give me any CPO advice, I posted a question here that i've had no luck with so far :P
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...-breeding.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode