55 gal plant tank lighting help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Question 55 gal plant tank lighting help

Hi Guys and gals,

New here and did a search already for DIY lighting options and found the sponsored artical about lighting for HO(like I'm looking to obtain).

Problem was it seems really outdated as the artical writers prospective was that HomeDepot and such had everything I needed with his opinion of best solution using T12.

After about 10 differents stops to all the different Depots, Lowes, OSH, lighting Wholesalers in my area, they all stated! T12 is being phased out and obsolete except for sign companies.

So, on to the advice being requested.....

55gal tank newb with established substrate, looking for DIY lighting for strong growth and a Co2 setup. Co2 already covered.

where to get supplies?(92708 zip)
what lighting will be enough and lowes cost over time?(T5 or T8?----- Pro's vs. Con's?) I want 3W per gallon...
what type of fixture will be needed?(prefer already made/no wiring needed)

problems with the hood for mounting is split lifting lid.(back half fixed/front half lifts)

inside dinensions of lid are....

10" width(lifting section) x 48" lingth x 4-1/2 tall(to surface of water)

5-1/2" width(fixed) x48 x4-1/2"

so again, if you were me and wanted to keep cost to min, never have to re-do, and wanted a heavy planted tank with a Co2 setup, what whould you do for DIY???

Thanks so much in advance!....Please keep it simple on the replys....like you were talking to a 2yr old...no abreveations please...I dont know them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
First and most important: forget about 3 watts per gallon. That is just a number, and a meaningless one at that. You can light a 55 gallon tank very well with one 54 watt T5HO light, if it has a good reflector, like Tek reflectors. Finding such a light isn't easy, but AH Supply has retrofit kits that should work very well: http://www.ahsupply.com/54watt.htm

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks Hoppy for the advice...I am a complete rookie when it comes to lighting and for some reason have a hard time grasping the important things(Par,Lumens,Watts per gallon I thought was so important vs reflectors, types of bulbs, ect.ect...) even though I've been in salt water for over 3 yrs...

I was not really looking to do any wiring like involved with a retro-fit though. I'm assuming since your link took me to T5 that that is the way to go vs T8???

is retro-fit the only way to save $$$ vs buying a fixture somewhere else already made than in my LFS(cost there $250-$350)

I'm trying to find a happy medium from paying that and having to do a full wiring job....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Lig...2.html?tc=fish is a $100 2 bulb T8 light. That will give you low light, which with CO2, will allow you to grow a lot of different plants.

The single bulb T5HO light will give considerably more light, and with CO2 you could grow any plant you wanted to grow.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Lig...2.html?tc=fish is a $100 2 bulb T8 light. That will give you low light, which with CO2, will allow you to grow a lot of different plants.

The single bulb T5HO light will give considerably more light, and with CO2 you could grow any plant you wanted to grow.

lol.....direct and to the point.

thanks.... T5 w/ good reflector it is considering the mounting space issue.

Thanks for the help Hoppy....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode