culligan filter reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
culligan filter reactor

I found this culligan water filter canister at my local ACE hardware on sale for $12.

Just like this, Its already setup for input and out. The little red button at the top used for air release can be removed revealing the perfect size hole for co2 resistant tubing to be inserted and siliconed on the intake side. A 1/2" x 9" pvc pipe fits snug down the center. Drilled a bunch of hole at the bottom portion of the pipe. Intake water is forced to the bottom taking co2 with it then forced through the holes in the pipe and up through the return.

Inside around the pvc tube I could put bio balls but Ive been told they are not necessary in diy reactor and only get clogged with debris. So Im not sure If I should leave it empty and the water being forced to the bottom of the filter would be enough for the co2 to disolve or if I should put some other type of media around the center pvc pipe? floss? perhaps even a wood diffuser on the co2 line inside the canister.

tell me what you think.

ernest

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by e.lark; 02-11-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 05:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
looks like an excellent idea to me... be sure and post your efficiency (ppm of CO2 before and after the reactor with same bubble rate). also the type of filter you're using and it's flow rate would be helpful as well... too much power and the bubbles could blow right out if not baffled properly (bioballs, coarse sponge, etc). keep us posted, and give us pics of the progress if you can.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
You may want to consider the filters that they make for the unit. They make some really corse ones that should be cheap and they will fit for sure. The only thing to watch out for is that those canisters can be hard to open, I have one for my house and have a special wrench to get it open, It can be dificult.

let us know how it works!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I plan to update this post when my co2 stuff arrives.

Quote:
You may want to consider the filters that they make for the unit
I think that is a sound idea instead of the pvc pipe. Make it work as a water polisher as well.

Quote:
be sure and post your efficiency (ppm of CO2 before and after the reactor with same bubble rate)
Im not exactly sure how to do what you saying or what to compare this reactor with. I understand the concept to see if it is actually the reactor doing its job but this is already plumbed so other than testing ppm of just the co2 line dunked in the main tank, testing ....then hook it up to the reactor, testing....Im not sure how measure the efficiency. Forgive me Im alittle punchy.

Quote:
also the type of filter you're using and it's flow rate would be helpful as well... too much power and the bubbles could blow right out if not baffled properly
This is on a closed loop ran by a mag 7 external pump. Full throttle this would run 700 gph but I imagine its cut back by a few 90 elbow fittings in the plumbing and its on a ball valve so I can decrease the flow even more.

ernest

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 02:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
by efficiency i just meant ppm of CO2 before and after you use the new reactor... I was assuming you had CO2, but no reactor... but since you mentioned you didn't have it yet, I guess that didn't make since

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode