Worried about leaks and cracks - 30 gal plastic tote. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Worried about leaks and cracks - 30 gal plastic tote.

Well, I built a aeroponic garden out of a 30 gallon plastic tote that I got from home depot. It runs fine right now, now leaks or anything, but now I'm worried...

I read about a few people having their plastic totes spontaneously crack and leak everywhere when used for water storage. It's only filled about halfway right now, but I'm still paranoid. When you shine light on the inside of the tub, you can see the imperfections in the plastic.

Any thoughts on prevention or precautions to prevent a huge problem if it happens? I was thinking about getting a stock tank that is designed for water storage, but none of them have lids... Maybe a tote inside a tote?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
I've kept 6 of these rubbermaids full of water for 4 years with no cracks, leaks or busts. I even had 3 of them as aeroponic gardens like yours.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
you could allways wrap it tight in something like the clear plastic they use to make up pallets. that should take some of the stress off the sides

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
I've kept 6 of these rubbermaids full of water for 4 years with no cracks, leaks or busts. I even had 3 of them as aeroponic gardens like yours.
Well, that's reassuring, but being living in a 5th floor apartment still has me a little paranoid...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
you could allways wrap it tight in something like the clear plastic they use to make up pallets. that should take some of the stress off the sides
The bungie reinforcement that I have on there seems to have taken a lot of the pressure off the sides. But I'm worried that over time it could still develop cracks.

I could buy a shorter, but wider and longer tote to set this one inside. It wouldn't really be doing anything unless there were a leak and then it would catch all the water
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

hmmm, I've never done anything like you're doing here so take my suggestions with a grain of salt, haha.

I like your idea of the outer contain to use an emergency catch basin but may be unsightly.

If that's a factor you could line the inside with a pond or pool liner. Coat the inside of the tote will silicon and stick the liner to it. That in conjunction with you side stress reduction should make it safe as the silicone and liner will prevent any plastic imperfections from breaking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Oh, and here's a tip... Paint the outside or inside of the lid flat black to avoid algae build up on the inside. I hate green water
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefiend View Post
hmmm, I've never done anything like you're doing here so take my suggestions with a grain of salt, haha.

I like your idea of the outer contain to use an emergency catch basin but may be unsightly.

If that's a factor you could line the inside with a pond or pool liner. Coat the inside of the tote will silicon and stick the liner to it. That in conjunction with you side stress reduction should make it safe as the silicone and liner will prevent any plastic imperfections from breaking.
Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. It might not help that much if there was a MAJOR split, but it would prevent leaks from any small cracks or whatnot. Is this something that could be found at Lowes or Home Depot?

You're right that a second tub might look a little dumb. My only thought is that I'm a bigger fan of redundant systems rather than preventative ones. Prevention may make it less likely to fail, but if it does fail you're still in trouble. Maybe the second tub could be made to have second function or somehow pretty it up a little.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Could you buy the exact same tote and "Nest" one in the other? Some tote designs fit pretty sung inside each other. That would give you renforcement & damage control back-up.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Could you buy the exact same tote and "Nest" one in the other? Some tote designs fit pretty sung inside each other. That would give you renforcement & damage control back-up.

That's so ridiculously simple it's bound to fail! lol.

That's actually a great idea... the only complication would be any bulk heads build into the tote. It looks as if the spray bar is build into the tote itself. It would possible but just takes a little extra effort in the plumping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
There are totes, and there are totes. Some people use that thin brittle plastic tote that if you look at it funny, breaks. Yours looks like the type (greasy tough durable LDP) that would take a great deal of force to break. I wouldn't worry about it, frankly. I used totes like those for reservoirs and put bulkheads in them with never a problem. The one you have looks like the same material they use for trash cans. I say you're good to go.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefiend View Post
That's so ridiculously simple it's bound to fail! lol.

That's actually a great idea...
I had some machine parts(heavy) stored for 3 years in two "nested" rubber made tubs. When I finnaly sold them I actually needed to use a long screw driver as a prybar to seperate them.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
You could just rap it up in duct tape.. Yes it is ghetto but it will get the job done.

Fraternity of dirt #8

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, here's what I ended up doing. I went to the container store with identical tote in hand and found a wider shallower. This particular one holds ~12 gallons. So I just fill my reservoir up to the 10 gal mark and I'm good to go. It came with a lid that I may modify to make an nice cover for the second tub.

The plants are about 3 weeks old.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode