DIY Stand with built in 20H - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Stand with built in 20H

A while back i decided to make a new stand for my 20l. I originally planned on doing a simple open 2x4 stand, but it kept growing and changing until i ended up with something completely different. While it was still in the planning stages i decided that id try to encorporate another tank into the bottom of the stand for my nephews. They love my tanks but they have a hard time seeing into them so i decided to give them their own. My tanks are in a spare bedroom so i needed this stand to also double as a bedside table/night stand, so it grew even more. The access to the shelves is on the side, but i actually made another front panel so that if i dont want to use this as a stand in the future i can simply swap the front panels and add glass shelving to the area where the tank now sits. I made a false bottom for the tank so that if i decide to use the shelves later ill have more room on the bottom for storage. This was all made with stuff i had laying around the shop. I think i spent a little under $15 total for the paint.

I ended up making a 2x4 frame and wrapping the whole thing in 3/8ths plywood that i had laying around. Theyre attached with stainless panhead screws from the outside for ease of removal and to keep with the sort of modern industrial theme i have going with this stand. I used 1/4 round to make a smooth transition from the plywood to the tank to keep things clean looking. This way you dont see anything from the tank except the glass. The tanks access door is held shut with magnetic spring operated latches, so all you have to do to open is gently push on the door and it pops open. This was important because i didnt want any hardware except the hinges and screws to be visible. I then trimmed it all out with 1/4 and 1/2 round just to clean things up a bit. I finished it off with a coat of satin black paint with textured gloss black trim. I also laquered the top so that it will be completely waterproof. The tank would be set up already but it has a leak so i need to reseal it. Let me know what you think.

Heres the stand with the front panel removed so you can see some of the construction. You can also see the removable false bottom that i was talking about earlier(on the left, its plywood with 2x2 feet).

This is the back of the front panel. You can sort of see what i did with the trim here.

Here you can see where i routed the back of the trim so that the trim on the tank wont push it out from the glass. Recessing it like this allows the trim to sit flush against the glass. As you can see i only left 1/8" of a lip, so all im losing is a 1/4" of visibility around the entire tank. You can also see the metal pieces that i used to brace the thin strip of plywood that goes across the top of the tank. Theyre just straight brackets that are recessed into the panel to keep that area from flexing when im moving the panel.

This is the tank sitting in there dry. Also a pic of the entire stand with the 20l on top. I used peg board on the back of the stand to keep humidity from buiding up inside of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well i thought it was a neat project anyway lol
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice i like it
Now you just need to paint the back and sides of the bottom tank, to hide the peg board

Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea it will all be painted. Im thinking about doing an urban wasteland themed tank for it. Maybe use bricks to make a broken looking wall for a background, and even extend them out on the bottom a little bit to look like a sidewalk. I could use some tahitian moon sand to make an asphalt looking street. Im thinking about putting an old broken bottle(with the edges smoothed) and some other things that look like waste in there for decoration. Ill probably just throw some glowlight tetra or glofish in there and add a black light. That will give a sort of radioactive look that the kids will probably like.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice idea then you can take it further by adding moss and have it as a nature reclaims the urban jungle.

Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thats actually a really good idea. Maybe have some java fern or something hardy growing out from cracks in the bricks as well, sort of like a weed? Theres really all kinds of directions i can go with this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Very good idea sceraxn! Hard to judge how large the opening above the tank is... May have make maintenance a PIA but worth it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
this is epic, I wish I could wood work =p
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceraxn View Post
Ill probably just throw some glowlight tetra or glofish in there and add a black light. That will give a sort of radioactive look that the kids will probably like.

I'd go with the glowlight... please don't endorse the injecting of dyes into fish or GM'ed fish. I wont get preachy, just voicing my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxima308 View Post
Very good idea sceraxn! Hard to judge how large the opening above the tank is... May have make maintenance a PIA but worth it!
The door is 6 1/2" tall, and the overall opening between the top of the tank and the lights will be around 9". Its pretty tight but i put my gravel vac in there the other day just to see how bad maintenance will be and it was actually easy. I had more than enough room, and if i need an extra couple inches i can just take out 9 screws and remove the front panel. Ive been thinking about remaking the false bottom that the tank sits on though. If i make it solid and mount it on large glides then i could take off the front panel and the entire tank can be slid out 12".

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefiend View Post
I'd go with the glowlight... please don't endorse the injecting of dyes into fish or GM'ed fish. I wont get preachy, just voicing my opinion.
I dont want to turn this into a debate, but im not totally against Glolights. They arent injected with dyes like the painted glass fish that were popular in the 90's. Their embryos are injected with a gene from either jellyfish or corals in order to get their colors. Despite popular beliefs, they arent sterile, but the pose no risk of reproducing with any non-glolight danios. Also, they were originally created in order to show when certain toxins get into the water. Their flourescent colors become intensified once they come in contact with toxins, so theyre really an amazing scientific model species. I dont in any way support the injection of dyes into adult fish, but i dont really mind when a fish is given flourescent colors by injecting a natural gene into them while still in the embryo stage. I am a man of science though, so i can understand that people dont feel the same way and i do respect their opinions.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceraxn View Post
I dont want to turn this into a debate, but im not totally against Glolights. They arent injected with dyes like the painted glass fish that were popular in the 90's. Their embryos are injected with a gene from either jellyfish or corals in order to get their colors. Despite popular beliefs, they arent sterile, but the pose no risk of reproducing with any non-glolight danios. Also, they were originally created in order to show when certain toxins get into the water. Their flourescent colors become intensified once they come in contact with toxins, so theyre really an amazing scientific model species. I dont in any way support the injection of dyes into adult fish, but i dont really mind when a fish is given flourescent colors by injecting a natural gene into them while still in the embryo stage. I am a man of science though, so i can understand that people dont feel the same way and i do respect their opinions.
just for clarification. Glolight danio are natural danio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glowlight_danio, the GloFish are the one's you're talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GloFish

just trying to make sure anyone else reading this thread doesnt get confused

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ah yea youre right. Thanks for the clarification. I had too many glowing fish on the brain and got confused lol
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Is it safe to have a glass tank that close to the floor? I'm thinking about things hitting the glass, like feet, edges of furniture, etc. This is something I have never thought much about. I have seen a lot of small children banging on aquariums with hands, and I wonder about them using a wood block, or metal object.

Hoppy
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was worried about it being so close to the ground, but i think it will be fine. These kids know not to touch the glass, but even if they decide to ill be around to make sure nothing bad happens. Until last year i had a stack of 4 10g's on a simple 2x4 shelf unit, and the bottom one was actually sitting on the ground. I had that setup for a few years without incident so im hoping this one will work out.

The glass starts at 10.5" off the ground so its safe from feet, but not safe from my dogs, one of which loves to lick the glass for some reason. I predict a lot of glass cleaning in my future lol
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would rethink the idea of sliding out of the tank for maintenance the sliding rail would need to be very heavy duty and very well secured, you also run the risk of changing the centre of gravity for the cabinet.

I myself would replace the screws with rare earth magnets one part epoxied into the frame the other could be countersunk into the face board and epoxied in place. should provide a secure enough fixing but remain easy enough to remove for cleaning. you could use ordinary cupboard magnetic catches as well.

An idea for you to play with

Canon Pimp Club #003

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode