noisy filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
noisy filter

I want to quieten my Penguin. some have suggested attaching a piece of sponge to extend the lip at the out put area. I did this and found the water circulation is not adequate. I want to try adding a small lip of styrofaom from a meat tray. I need a dab only of silicone. The only tubes i can find are huge and expensive at Big Als.
Someone also suggested that i buy the silicone at home depot. Unfortunately none of them are suitable for tanks. they all say"NOT for aquariums." Any thing else I can use to attach it?
have tried elastics but they pop off.
Thanks Mouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
How long have you had it? Mine was noisy at first but now the Wheel turns slower and I keep the water level high and I can't hear a thing.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

a couple of years. it is the splashing into the tank that makes the noise.
When we set up the tank last month we forgot DAH to level the tank stand .It is butt up against the wall where the wood goes for the carpet to be attached and so the tank tilts slightly forward.
I guess in the summer we will have to catch the fish( not an easy thing to do) and drain the tank to level it.
mouse

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
It is going to make noise no matter what.. it is the friction, or resistance, of the wheel against the water and the vibrations that that causes that makes the noise. Elimniate the wheel and you will loose the noise. If you running aplanted tank you really dont need the bio wheel anyway.

Help control the pet population...spay or neuter people won't spay or neuter their dogs or cats!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 02:38 AM
Algae Grower

If you're looking for aquarium-safe Silicone, try Home Hardware (I went to the yonge/St. Clair, Toronto location). They've got 84mL tubes of clear silicone caulking there for $3.99. I believe the brand name is Weather Shield, white tube with big, baby-blue "Silicone" written on the tube. It states on the tube that it is safe for aquariums and I've used it with no ill effect.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:39 PM

I can get a small tube of aquarium silicone at either of my LFS's...and I think maybe petCo even has it. Probably a 2 oz. sized tube, no caulking gun needed.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info. will look at home hardware. Did not see any at petsmart. We do not have petco here.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

??

well i looked at some silicone that said it was safe for aquariums, but not to get it below the water line. how does that make sense?
Mouse
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Algae Grower

Maybe they don't sell the brand I have at HH anymore. Saw some aquarium silicone for $8.99 at aquapassion.com, some Canadian site. Free shipping over $75 so only useful if you wanted to order other stuff too I guess. (I also saw they have Riccia for $4.99, never seen it Canada before)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode