Flow control refill bucket. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flow control refill bucket.

Okay, so this isn't a ground breaking DIY by any means but I had a hard time finding what parts I needed to do this so I'm gonna post in hopes others can save a little trouble.

This makes filling my small tanks so much easier and saves me using my hands or other implements to break the water flow.

The parts:

5 gallon bucket... sturdier plastic the better.
1 ball valve (1/2" threaded)
1 Liquidtight One-Piece Fitting (electrical department, 1/2" thread)
1 plastic barbed adapter (5/8" hose; 1/2" thread)
silicone

Drill a hole on the side of the bucket near the bottom. Use a drill bit one size lower than thread part of the liquidtight fitting. I dont remember what size bit I used but it was small enough that I had to actually screw the liquidtight fitting in the bucket. I did this on purpose.

Also, you want to thread the fitting from the inside of the bucket so that the threaded side of the fitting is coming out of the bucket with the rubber gasket on the inside of the bucket.

Them, on the outside of the bucket I beaded some silicone where the bucket and fitting meet and also on one or two thread of the fitting as well. Then I tightened the fitting's bushing onto the fitting.

I beaded a little silicon on the last couple threads of the fitting and then attached the ball valve. The silicon probably wasn't needed but it was there, and I was there and the fumes made me do it.

Then I attached the barbed adapter (no silicon in this one, haha).

Attach the hose and you're good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0028.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	32744  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0031.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	32745  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
So how are you using this? Are you holding the bucket up? Please elabortate.... I haven't used a bucket to empty or fill anything in close to a decade. PVC hook and garden hose is all I use anymore... To fill just a garden hose shut off.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Planted Member

Very nice! Control the flow and have a reservoir to fill many tanks.. Brilliant!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Very simple, elegant way to use a bucket without washing away the whole substrate or spilling water on the floor. I would use this for a 10 gallon tank before dragging a hose out to refill the tank. For bigger tanks I think a hose is better. If I set up my 8 gallon tank again I will try this.

I have used a small powerhead in a 5 gallon bucket, but I hated to tie up a powerhead that way. I always found I had used it for something else every time I wanted it for this use.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
So how are you using this? Are you holding the bucket up? Please elabortate.... I haven't used a bucket to empty or fill anything in close to a decade. PVC hook and garden hose is all I use anymore... To fill just a garden hose shut off.
Well, it's not complicated. it just need to be higher than the tank. I use a step ladder.

I have 4 tanks that are all 10g or smaller. When I had larger tanks (and when I set up my 55) I used a hose attached to a faucet.

But for my nano's I use aged and treated water so this system freakin' rocks.

Thanks for the kudos... like I said, it's not groundbreaking but it is useful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode