Airpocket in the DIY reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Airpocket in the DIY reactor

I just finished installing a simple DIY reactor made out of a 12 inch long (1.5 inch diameter) plastic vacuum tube powered by a small pump which pumps in water from top to bottom. The CO2 outlet tube is drilled in about 4 inches from the top of the tube. At the bottom of the tube, I squeezed in about 3 inches of filter floss. I have placed the reactor diagonally on the side glass & the outflow (the bottom of the reactor) is pointed towards the intake of the filter so the dissolved CO2 gets sucked up by the filter & spreads around the tank through the outflow.

So I put the reactor to work and immediately noticed an air pocket forming on the top the reactor. As I increased the bps rate, the air pocket got bigger as well. So I turned it back down to 3 bps and it got smaller. Even after, I shut down the CO2 the air pocket was still there.

I did some reading & some people suggested to use a more powerful powerhead but the downside is that theyre too nosiy. So all these brings me down to two questions:

1. What's the air pocket inside of the reactor made up? CO2 or O2? If it's
made out of O2 then why the air pocket gets larger as I up the CO2
bps?

2. Can I just go on living with the air pocket inside of the reactor? Is the
CO2 still being dissolved? I don't see any bubbles coming out of the
reactor. So if the airpocket isn't doing any harm, then I don't mind it
at all.

Obviously, I could wrong on this and that's why I need your insight.

TIA,
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Algae Grower

That is definitely c02 at the top of the reactor. It stays there after you cut off the co2 because it takes a while for the gases in that pocket it be dissolved into the water. Mine does the same thing and it usually takes about 15-20 minutes for it all to dissolve. The co2 is definitely getting into the tank though, so i wouldnt worry about it. Are you using a drop checker?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceraxn View Post
That is definitely c02 at the top of the reactor. It stays there after you cut off the co2 because it takes a while for the gases in that pocket it be dissolved into the water. Mine does the same thing and it usually takes about 15-20 minutes for it all to dissolve. The co2 is definitely getting into the tank though, so i wouldnt worry about it. Are you using a drop checker?
Yes, I'm using a DC with a 4dkh solution. I just built this reactor and before that my DC would take ages to turn green...almost two hrs before the lights went out. Today, it's the first day with the reactor...I hope this time the much needed CO2 spreads around the tank nicely.

Thanks for the reply, I'll def. let you know later on today if it's working properly.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Algae Grower

Well just make sure to keep a close eye on the DC and the fish. Youll probably have to change the bps from the old setup because of differences in efficiency. Im only running ~2.5bps with my Griggs style reactor compared to the 3.5bps i was having to use with the glass diffuser i was using previously.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode