DIY Co2 Help? 48 Hours later - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Co2 Help? 48 Hours later

can anyonecomment on what i did wrong?

its been more than 48 hours and my C02 doesn't seem to form any bubbles and nothing is coming up on my bubble checker..

I've used 2 cups on sugar, 1/4 yeast and 1/2 baking soda recipe

http://imageshack.us/f/202/imag0275j.jpg/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Looking at that, Im willing to bet that your foam job might not be 100% air tight.

I just got those little airline adapters from petco, drilled a hole, superglued them to the cap, and then put my hosing on to that...doesnt flex or move around so it wont fail over time.

Also your secondary container - I have never had good luck with such containers, even when I siliconed the tops on them.

Eheim Pimp #423
My Riparium:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Did you mean you used 1/4 tsp yeast and 1/2 tsp baking soda? Because 1/4 cup yeast is WAY too much for 2 cups of sugar... that's going to blow out all your CO2 in a couple days.... I think 2 cups sugar, 1/2 TEASPOONS yeast, and 1/4 TEASPOONS baking soda is more along the lines of what you want.

Also, how did you make the holes in the tops of the bottles? I forget what size drill bit is best, but you should be drilling with maybe a 3/16" drill bit or the next size up; one that allows you to pull the silicone tubing through with a pair of pliers but is still airtight. With that, you don't even need any foam or anything like that.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I drill the tubing pass through hole smaller that the OD and pull the tubing through with needle nose pliers. Seals as good as any O ring I've ever used.

How much water did you add?

I use about 2-3 cups of sugar per 3 liters, 1tsp yeast & add 10ml of Aqueon liquid plant food as micronutriants and I've had a steady 1bps for almost 2 weeks now.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes i drilled it manually with screwdriver. it works fine but i'm going to switch it to something smaller.

i re-foamed the co2 bottle and added plastic wrap, i see bubbles now! but the bubbles aren't coming up 1/sec. more like 1 per 8 secs.. how do i speed it up? there is no valve check between co2 bottle to checker bottle.

Formula, 2 cups sugar. 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 yeast
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Formula, 2 cups sugar. 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 yeast
In how much water?

Hoppy's formula

Steve

:

:

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

2 liter bottle. 2 cups of the sugar and i filled the rest with luke warm tap water. the bottle says
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think you need to double up on the yeast and test for leaks. A screw driver won't give you a smooth bore hole so it will be very difficult to seal even with gobs of silicone or foam.

Steve

:

:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i guess i'll dump this load and try again tomorrow. thanks for the feedback.

ot, why does your post stay at 666?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Like I said...drill a hole...get one of those plastic nipples from petco or wherever (no idea what they are supposed to be used for, you will find them in by the other airline supplies) and superglue it in that hole. If you want you can run a bead of silicone around that, but its not going anywhere. Never had a silicone job that didnt need repair sooner or later.

Eheim Pimp #423
My Riparium:
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherfleshy View Post
Like I said...drill a hole...get one of those plastic nipples from petco or wherever (no idea what they are supposed to be used for, you will find them in by the other airline supplies) and superglue it in that hole. If you want you can run a bead of silicone around that, but its not going anywhere. Never had a silicone job that didnt need repair sooner or later.
In the past, when I used DIY CO2 I never used super glue or silicone.

When you make a hole in the cap, make it a little smaller than the airhose.
Pull the airhose trough the hole with pliers. If you cant get the hose trough the hole, cut the hose sideways so you have kind of an point on top of the hose and pull it trough with the pliers.

I never had a leak like that and no glue needed!!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Interesting.

Eheim Pimp #423
My Riparium:
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
In the past, when I used DIY CO2 I never used super glue or silicone.

When you make a hole in the cap, make it a little smaller than the airhose.
Pull the airhose trough the hole with pliers. If you cant get the hose trough the hole, cut the hose sideways so you have kind of an point on top of the hose and pull it trough with the pliers.

I never had a leak like that and no glue needed!!!
I can vouch for this method. it works awesomely in my diy co2 setup as well. no silicone/glue or whatsoever.

|
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode