DIY mods to Eclipse hoods - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY mods to Eclipse hoods

Just wanted to start a thread on Diy mods and upgrades everyone has done to their eclipse filter/light hood systems or aquarium kits.

------
I have an Eclipse 1

mods:
Ahsupply 36 watt cf bright kit

Notes:
fairly easy to install using stock lid and light cover. If you wish to use the light cover the reflector that comes with the kit needs to be trimmed about 1". Was not able to do a step by step guide because i was in a hurry. But if anyone has any questions i would be happy to help.

Tools needed:

Power drill, flat and philips screwdriver, wire cutter and stripper, good pair of scissors.

Here's the link i used to get a rough idea on how to install the light, particularly the metal clips that hold the bulb in place. Twin bulb intall in eclipse

--------
Quick trick to save some money on eclipse 1 filter cartriges is to replace them with fluval 204/304 filter sponges.

Just strip your current filter cartridge of its blue mesh and carbon leaving only the black plastic frame. Take one Fluval 204/304 filter sponge (comes in 2pk) and just rubber band it onto the frame. Make sure the sponge is securely placed over the cartridge before putting it back into the filter area.

Note: cartrige can still be filled with carbon ( or any bio media ) when ever you need to. Easy mod that will save you a lot of money in the long term.

----

Same trick but for an Eclipse system 6

Follow same instructions as above but using a Fluval 104 sponge.

SPECIAL thanks to LEFT C for telling me about these mod's

Anyone else have any tricks for any these or any other Eclipse models? Post it up!

Last edited by supaoopa; 02-08-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Algae Grower

I tried all sorts of stuff for the filter on the system 12. Tried to make these wire frames cut to vertical size of the filter casing and then put filter flosss over them. It really scrubbed the water but the filter floss got super nasty super quick.

Ended up buying some aquaclear 300 pads, cutting them in half, and then shaping to the vertical shape of the filter bucket, So get a lot more filtertraton with a lot less space. THis leaves me space to put other media of whatever. I've used carbon in a panty hose. Thought about using peat, but gave that idea up. Also a good place to use a solo cup for partial water changes (doesn't take long to get 2g with that and I don't have to remove the top).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to badmatt Send a message via MSN to badmatt Send a message via Yahoo to badmatt
bio-media such as hagen bio-ring's in a just an ac300 bag would fit perfectly and work really well also, if i still had my cube
befor it brok i wouldve had a DIY on buildign a bow front hood.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #47
125G discus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other money Pit's
05 GTO- exhaust, tune, intake.
97 Bagged Sonoma - layin frame on 22's
00 GMC Jimmy.... DD stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to GreenHornet Send a message via MSN to GreenHornet Send a message via Yahoo to GreenHornet
Most of my rationalization went out the window this afternoon. So, I bought a 24 inch 65 watt coralight and took a hacksaw to my 25G eclipse 2 top. It fits snug without having to cut the exterior of the top. Now I'll have to figure out how to wire a fan into the top as well.
My original plan was to shave off a bit of the lamp and mount it to the hood, but I quickly decided against that.
If anyone is interested, I took some pictures of the process. Just let me know.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 06:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
haha this is a cool thread. I wish I would have taken pictures of mine. I have an eclipse 3? maybe ( im not the original owner, but its the largest one...for 24x12 tanks ) I jammed 2 14inch PC bulbs under with 2 ballasts' too. It was a tight fit; got pretty warm unfortunately, and im giving up on that hood because im investing in an acrylic tank. I thought about doing some extensive plastic surgery on that baby, but realized id rather spend the money and avoid the headaches of trying to get it perfect.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Most of my rationalization went out the window this afternoon. So, I bought a 24 inch 65 watt coralight and took a hacksaw to my 25G eclipse 2 top. It fits snug without having to cut the exterior of the top. Now I'll have to figure out how to wire a fan into the top as well.
My original plan was to shave off a bit of the lamp and mount it to the hood, but I quickly decided against that.
If anyone is interested, I took some pictures of the process. Just let me know.
i'm going to start retrofiting my eclipse 1 soon. some pictures would be appreciated if you still have them!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
If you install a fan make sure you drill a hole on the opposite end for air to come in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode