Preventing CO2 loss in a multi tank system - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Preventing CO2 loss in a multi tank system

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and planted tanks, so I thought I'd get everyone's advice before i got ahead of myself. I have a few years of reef aquarium experience, so I'm not totally sure all of my ideas from that side of the hobby will be transferable.
I found a bunch of tanks for cheap on craiglist, so rather than buy one larger tank I have several smaller ones, which actually suites my purposes better, because I'm planning on breeding Colombian or German rams and a nursery and grow out tank would be nice.
I'm planning on running 2 X 2 liter DIY reactors. The plants I'm growing will likely be amzaon swords, java fern, and some Annubias sps. With all the plumbing that will be going on, I'm trying to prevent as much disruption of the surface as possible. The basic idea is as follows: Water goes into a 40 gallon long and then overflows into a 10 gallon below it. From here a siphon takes it to an adjacent 10 gallon which houses heaters, etc, and a return pump (around 200 GPH) which pushes it into a 30 gallon. The 30 gallon has a siphon which transfers its out flowing water to the 40 gallon.
The overflow box will be adjusted low enough that there is no "waterfall" as water leaves the tank and enters it, but it will be positioned high enough that if the power goes off, the siphon in the elbow piece going to the back side of the box will not break. My question is how can I reduce surface agitation in the drain from the back box into the 10 gallon tank below? any DIYourselfers out there think they can help?
After that box, the water passes to the 10 gallon. The hose will run directly into a cup sealed to the bottom of the tank with holes cut at random locations to minimize disruption of the surface. This cup will be within a similarly sealed and punctured chinese soup take out container so that the surface is not agitated. The siphon between this 10 gallon and its neighboring 10 gallon shouldn't present an issue. The return to the 30 gallon will have a similar baffle system as described for the 10, but made with acrylic sheets sealed into place for a more tolerable appearance.
Sorry for the really long post, I thought the details might help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
There is no system that will allow you to move water from one tank to three more tanks without dissipating much of the CO2 in the water. For that much water, even if in one tank, you would need lots of DIY CO2 bottles, or, much better, a pressurized CO2 system to keep a good amount of CO2 in the water. Moving the water from tank to tank just makes it even harder.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you think CO2 injection will be necessary for the plants I listed (amazon sword, java fern, Annubias) in medium density?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
With medium and high light CO2 is virtually essential, for any plants. With low light CO2 is very useful to the plants and allows them to grow at much faster rates. Those specific plants don't need more than low light, so as long as that is what you use, you can probably do without CO2, especially if you substitute Excel as a carbon source.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your help!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode