DIY moonlight ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
DIY moonlight ?

So I would love to add a moonlight to my tank, seeing as my lights are off more than they are on. I am a pretty handy guy, but not so much when it comes to electrical stuff. Would it be as simple as wiring one of these to a 120V AC to 12V DC adapter like this? I don't know if it would require a resistor or anything like that, or whether the amperage rating of the adapter matters. My wife would prefer that I not burn the house down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The LED strip is only 1.8 watts and your proposed supply can supply 12 watts (12 volts out x 1 ampere capabiliy = 12 watts). Or if you prefer, the LED supply current for 1.8 watts is only 0.15 amps (1.8 watts / 12 volts = 150 milliamps). So the adaptor isn't overloaded.

From what's on-line, there is not enough information to know if the LED strip has current limiting resistors built in or not. I would expect that is part of the design.

Update: looking at the detail photos of the LED strip I can see surface mount resistors between the LEDs. You shouldn't need any additional resistor unless you want to dim the lights down some more.

Eheim Pimp #459 - 2213, 2234
SunSun Pimp #47 - (Perfect) HW302

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/61%)
They have those cheap LED strips on ebay why not just pick one of those up? Then you don't have to worry about electrical work.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
Those are the same led strips found on e auction bay and will work by directly connecting with the DC 12v 1 amp adapter. Works great for cheap moonlighting.
I have used similar strips in the past and works ok.

Another 2.5g story

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Algae Grower

I will post my DIY moonlight setup in like an hour or so, gotta wait for it to get dark to get good pics
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I made mine last night and it is ghetto fabulous it consists of 5 blue led's hot glue card board and a 5 v phone charger. i can post pics if you want
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coil1002 View Post
I made mine last night and it is ghetto fabulous it consists of 5 blue led's hot glue card board and a 5 v phone charger. i can post pics if you want
I want to see that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Algae Grower

there hot glued in the hood. I run my whole tank off a plc controller so I removed the 5 volt charger and just power them off one of the analog outputs on the controller I can now dim them and mimic lunar phase
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	32388  

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Those auto leds will work with one of the universal adapters that can be set at different voltages. That is exactly what I did on my tank and I used the voltage selector as sort of a dimmer switch because they were brighter than I thought they would be.

You can see my DIY in my signature.

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice DIY HouseofZOO, do you mind sharing what auto store you found the light at? I like how easy that converts to a moonlight.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have these Hamilton moonlight strips and I am incredibly happy with them - so quick and easy, just stick it on.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." ó Socrates

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Heres a pic of mine. I focused it on the shrimp/dwarf frog cave so they have light on that side of the tank and the other is still dark so them and the fish can choose where they want to hang out and it gives a nice accent of just having the cave glowing.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have this moonlight ($16 from ebay) on my 20 gallon and am very happy with it. I've used different blue moonlights before but i'm really liking the look of a few white led's mixed with blue's. Also waterproof so you can mount it inside the aquarium for effect lighting.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJack View Post
I have this moonlight ($16 from ebay) on my 20 gallon and am very happy with it. I've used different blue moonlights before but i'm really liking the look of a few white led's mixed with blue's. Also waterproof so you can mount it inside the aquarium for effect lighting.

this looks a bit too bright to be used as a moonlight

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode