diy air pump noise reduction - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
diy air pump noise reduction

so i wanted to buy a new air pump and on a whim today i took mine apart to see how they work. Lo and behold, very simple and easy to manipulate.

tools needed:
ones that can take apart your pump housing.
generic filter pad
poking device (small screw driver for me)

this pump works off magnet drive which inflates and deflates a rubber diaphragm. I lost a little air flow doing this but was completely satisfied with the end result. the inside of the pump is packed with nothing to absorb vibrations, as the magnet gets pushed back and forth you can here the metal vibrating.

step one, rip pad into small pieces stuff in between the diaphragm and housing, metal bar and housing, make sure paddding doesnt touch contacts for safety reasons. you u find that you dont have enough flow, take some padding out. still have lots of flow and need less noise, pack some more in. i took mine apart 3 times to get where i wanted to be.

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HD Blazingwolf; 09-06-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do you think this could become a fire hazard?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

if u note the two contacts on the left side, yes if it where to get there. however the diaphragm is operated by a magnet that is being pushed back and forth. u can even put the pad between the magnet and two electromagnets, i did but found i lost too much air. otherwise as it sits right now. its perfectly safe. hasnt gotten any warmer than before just quieter.. ill keep an update on this to let everyone know but its been running since 8 this morning with no problems

Sump Pimp #7

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Fire hazard - yes, please. Those things do heat up a bit.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

well 12 hours running and its still fine! infrared thermometer puts temp at 95 degrees. if those pads ignite at 95 degrees then we have a problem but i highly doubt synthetic fibers have that low of melting point.

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode