the cleanest way to diffuse co2 with diy yeast? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
the cleanest way to diffuse co2 with diy yeast?

so i just started my mood into planting a 10gal tank.

so far i only have java moss (trying to make carpet) and java fern (so it wont look too plain) well i went many trials and errors, youtube vids of diffuser and made my own diffuser.

long story short i dont like my diffuser because it looks ugly and take so much space inside my tank.

end up with glass diffuser from ebay 5.99 and works okay. 2 days ago co2 drop checker came in and tested it. so it turns out my tank need more co2 (blue drop checker).

so is there any efficient AND clean looking diffuser out there?

was gunna buy gla atomic diffuser but i dont think it will work with my 2liter sprite bottle lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Buy a cheap powerhead and feed co2 into intake..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Algae Grower

What kind of filter are you currently using?

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
DIY CO2 doesn’t create enuff pressure to diffuse through a ceramic diffuser.
I use pressurized on larger tanks. Smaller tanks have sugar/yeast mixture and
I diffuse through a HOB filter. Just insert a hard plastic tube into the intake of the HOB,
There is loss through surface agitation, but the drop checkers still turns green.
You can also put two DIY generators in tandem, and then change a bottle every 10-14 days
in order to maintain a steady supply of CO2.
Good luck
Charles
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
SCAPEr

hmmm i might try the diy ceramic ring somewhere from this section.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Algae Grower

DIY CO2 certainly does create suffiicient pressure to diffuse through a ceramic diffuser. If it doesn't work for you, there is a leak in your system or your system isn't generating enough gas pressure to do so.

Honestly, I'd scrap the DIY and set up a paintball system if money is an issue. I followed the plans outlined on here and made a sweet set-up for less than 30 dollars. No more loss, no more changing nasty bottles, etc.. DIY is fun for a while, but the magic wears off quickly. Haha. Anyway, just throw a cheapo nano diffuser on it and you'll be good to go.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Algae Grower

Also-use a 2 bottle sytem and change out one of them every 7-10 days. This helps to keep it fairly consistent and as strong as possible.

My yeast system was pretty 'high tech,' so my experience may be different than some. I used two hard plastic 2-L nalgene bottles with nipples epoxied and siliconed into the cap and joined byt a 'T,' and both were kept in a heated water bath to maximize gas generation and eliminate temperature-based variability in production. This system has a TON of pressure!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I put a tiny $0.25 air stone on the end of my DIY CO2 bottle and then buried it under some gravel and then finer sand. I then placed a slanted rock jutting over the area. Most of the bubbles are pretty tiny and run up along the bottom of the jutting rock to better diffuse it. I haven't checked CO2 levels but I think it's working...

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:23 PM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
some of the glass ebay diffusers work for diy and some dont, i have bought a few that didnt worka dn some that did, i use a bamboo chopstick cut down to about 2" long, there almost free and work fine, alot better than breaking diffusers every few months like me lol. i change out the bottle every 7-10 days or whenever it looks like weak bubbles.

the chopstick works great with the diy, i just made some co2 today and works as always!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode