DIY Glass type top? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
DIY Glass type top?

I'm wondering if there are any diy tweaks that I can do to my glass canopy. Because the hinge is dark brown/black there is actually a darker stripe that runs through my tank where the light obviously doesn't pass through.

I've considered just removing the hung and letting both pieces of glass just rest on the tank.

I sort of have to have the lid, especially this time of year. My labs are STILL blowing their coats out and without the lid the hair settles nicely right in the tank. Gross I know.....

Anyhow, has anyone else ever done something similar to their lid to get rid of the dark line?

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
i removed the hing aswell. easier to do maintence too, for me
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Chuck the hinge. Useless.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Welcome to Algaeville

PTrader: (21/100%)
I tried removing the hinge from mine. I just tried pulling the 2 halves apart but was afraid I was going to break something. What did you guys do to remove the hinge?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, so for some reason I didn't think it would be so easy to remove the hinge... lol. Thought there would have been silicon or something to hold it together. YAY no more shadow in the tank.

Thanks for the responses!

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

All the ones I've seen are just a friction fit. Start at one end and peel it off. Maybe warm it up with a hair dryer or something to soften it a bit.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Algae Grower

And that leads me to my horror story of the year. I've got a 150G tank in our living room. I woke up to the cat howling at around 3:30 am yesterday. I bounce out of bed and see the cat soaking wet sitting in front of the tank. The left side of the glass canopy is laying in the bottom of the tank in 2 pieces. My cat loves to eat flake evidently and that's why he jumped up on the tank and fell in. I had previously removed the hinge part also. I'm not sure if it affects the integrity of the glass or not.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you build your own, you can locate the hinge between lights or fixtures assuming they aren't mounted far above the tank. I have two light fixtures that I just set on top the glass. By putting the hinge in between them I can set one fixture on top of the other, then open the front half of the canopy to work on the tank and still have plenty of light. If you don't need the hinge, just have the local glass shop cut you a piece to the exact size you want and cover the whole top (or half). That will also let you get rid of the flimsy plastic piece that usually attaches to the back of the canopy. They generally aren't sturdy enough to keep fish from jumping out of the tank, or heavy objects from falling in; for example cats.

Last edited by smannell; 06-18-2011 at 02:00 AM. Reason: fixed typo
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Fold masking tape lengthwise with the sticky side out.

Put between glass edges where you want it to hinge.

Make sure the tape isn't higher than the glass cover top and there is a 1/16" gap between pieces. Some round tooth pick spacers would work.

Lay some more masking tape 1/2" from and parallel with the joint on either side.

Lay a thick bead of RTV silicone sealant slightly less than 1/8" thick and screed with a straight edge/putty knife. You can use Popsicle sticks as the screed form.

After it is cured, cut at edge of masking tape on top and remove. Then the center masking.

Too bad they just don't use translucent plastic for those center hinges in the first place. The plastic cutout cover strip in the back is translucent already.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I've always wondered why they don't build those canopy hinges with clear plastic. It wouldn't be that hard. The manufacturers probably just don't care.

For that matter it wouldn't be so difficult to make the top center brace from a separate piece of clear plastic. Part of the best light right in the middle of the lamp is lost with that opaque black strip of plastic.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You can also cut down that center strip to just enough depth on each side for the glass to hold with some RTV silicone adhesive.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
McMaster Carr sells clear plastic continuous hinges.

Here is a slip over type for 1/4" thick glass:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-con...hinges/=ct83t5

Here is a glue on type:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-con...hinges/=ct85ye

There are other sizes, styles, and materials available. It's worth making your own. You can get the glass cut to just the size you want regardless of your tank size or shape; and leave just enough room for tubing and cords so critters don't escape. I also put a felt border around the bottom of the glass where it rests on the lip to get it above the middle brace and cushion it in case I drop it. If I had to do over I'd use adhesive backed neoprene strips instead of the felt. I still need to mount more permanent handles, right now I'm just using clear suction cups. I've got some pictures somewhere if anyone is interested.

Sean
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually removed mine already and I don't have cats so I don't anticipate that being a problem. I think I might get new pieces of glass cut for the top of the tank. The top never did fit quite right even with the plastic piece that comes with it to cut to allow for filters etc.

So many great ideas, I'm saving this thread in case my hingeless top becomes a problem.

Thanks to everyone!

Sam
SunSun Pimp #36

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Not sure if it would count but I removed the hinge on mine too,but I slide the top.I want to figure a way to make it easier to slide.Im sure there is a way.I think it works better than lifting it up because the way my light is.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode