Eclipse repair? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Eclipse repair?

I have a 29 gallon Eclipse (my java jungle) that seems to leak along the top of the frame. There are constantly hard water lines along the back and the side of the tank. The tank has been up and running for something like 2 years, so I don't want to take it all the way down, unless I have to.
Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know a good way to fix it? Maybe I should just run a bead of silicone along the outside of the frame, but I am afraid it will look like crap and not set right if the tank is damp when I apply it.
Maybe I should just tear the tank down and replace the damn thing. My fiance has told me if I take it down that she doesn't want another one set up, so my only option is to fix it or just replace the tank itself with another crappy Eclipse. At least that way I can call it a "repair" rather than a new tank.
Any advice?
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aphyosemion-

Stop me if this is old news. I'm not too familiar with the Eclipse systems, but if they are like the small acrylics tank I have had, it sounds like a common problem I've run into. The top black rim of plastic can often act as a syphon in some areas, and will continue to 'leak' until the water level drops below the lower part of the rim. I thought a couple of my tanks were cracked until I discovered this. Silicone should work to stop this, but I have never actually tried it.

My quick fix is to simply pop the rim up to break the syphon. The syphon shouldn't start unless the water level gets rather high, so I try to avoid these situations that way. I suppose another solution might be completely remove the top rim and drill small holes into it to avoid a syphon starting, but this is also unproven.

Hope this helps.

Mike
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
are you running an eclipse in-hood filter? if yes then I have a very easy fix for you... clean the filter and don't use anything more than the cartridges that are made for it or something similar in thickness. my mother has an eclipse 1 hood that made me think her 20g XH was leaking... I tore it down, moved the fish, got her another identical tank, set it back up, and it was "leaking" again... I was really really mad at perfecto at that point. I then listened to the dripping coming from the back of the tank, and finally traced it to the filter tray where the filter pad sits... it had accumulated extra mulm after a rescaping / gravel vaccuming a few days earlier, and had clogged up to the point where water was trickling over the back edge, and instead of falling into the tank (as it should were these systems designed properly) it spills onto the back frame and down the back of the tank. If you're not using this style filter, then disgregard this post

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode