DIY C02 yeast types - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY C02 yeast types

Long story short, got bored and built a diy unit yesterday, but used some old yeast i found in the cupboard, dont think it was any good cause i got no bubbles.

so i went to the grocery store today, picked up a couple packets of fleischmann's active dry yeast, but also found some packets of brewers yeast, both for wine and for beer. Grabbed a couple of the wine packets, made by lalvin, on label says EC-1118, Saccharomyces bayanus. I belive I read somewhere that the wine/brewers yeast works better than bakers?

Can anyone point me in the direction of which to use?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

Brewers yeast will work better then bakers yeast, you will get up to a week longer with brewers.the only yay better than that is champagne yeast. But it its considerably more expensive. I have an amazing link on my ipad but I'm at work, the ipad isn't. I'll have a hunt for you

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
I use champagne yeast and am still on my original packet. I have been experimenting with only pouring about 50-60% of the solution off, adding new water and sugar.

I got the idea from keeping family sourdough cultures in the fridge. It seems to be working very well so far and if it remains strong, will negate the cost of using more expensive champagne yeasts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmon View Post
Long story short, got bored and built a diy unit yesterday, but used some old yeast i found in the cupboard, dont think it was any good cause i got no bubbles.

so i went to the grocery store today, picked up a couple packets of fleischmann's active dry yeast, but also found some packets of brewers yeast, both for wine and for beer. Grabbed a couple of the wine packets, made by lalvin, on label says EC-1118, Saccharomyces bayanus. I belive I read somewhere that the wine/brewers yeast works better than bakers?

Can anyone point me in the direction of which to use?

Thanks
The EC-1118 is a champagne yeast. It's a popular choice because of its consistently strong fermentation characteristics and high alcohol tolerance, up to 18%.

I've been using something very similar. It's the lalvin K1V-1116. The only difference is the K1V-1116 produces less SO2 than the ec-1118.

You only have to use a little since it's such a fast fermenting yeast. What's been working for me is 1/2 tsp of yeast and 2 cups of sugar. Last ~ 2 weeks maybe more.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
l
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated. I def. know which yeast to use now, also the lalvin is oddly cheaper than the bakers.....go figure.

I'm now getting bubbles/foam on the surface of the 2l fermenter, but am only getting maybe 1 b per 10 secs or so. I've made two diff. units and have experimented with ratios and such both w same issue. Im almost thinking it's a temperature thing cause when i put my hand anywhere near the top portion of the 2l, i get 2ish bps and get co2 through the diffuser. Im also thinking my check valve may have issues or something cause it takes a fair amount of pressure to get the c02 to the diffuser. it seems it wont get through unless i either give the 2l a shake, or rest my hand on the bottle for a bit.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:59 AM
Algae Grower

That sounds about right.diffusers need a heap of pressure build up to work. You may need to add a second bottle to get the pressure.also yeast will not work as well if cold.i think 27c is optimal temp as when yeast starts to work it will also heat up

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmon View Post
Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated. I def. know which yeast to use now, also the lalvin is oddly cheaper than the bakers.....go figure.

I'm now getting bubbles/foam on the surface of the 2l fermenter, but am only getting maybe 1 b per 10 secs or so. I've made two diff. units and have experimented with ratios and such both w same issue. Im almost thinking it's a temperature thing cause when i put my hand anywhere near the top portion of the 2l, i get 2ish bps and get co2 through the diffuser. Im also thinking my check valve may have issues or something cause it takes a fair amount of pressure to get the c02 to the diffuser. it seems it wont get through unless i either give the 2l a shake, or rest my hand on the bottle for a bit.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?
Check for leaks...almost every time something went wrong with my diy co2 it was because of a leak. Dump it in a bucket of water and look for air bubbles. Like lexbomb said...it takes a lot of pressure to build up, for a diffuser to work...like more than 24 hrs sometimes.

Also, since you're most likely running it 24 hrs a day then 1 bubble every few seconds isn't that bad. You probably don't want to have a high bubble count since plants produce CO2 at night which adds to your diy co2.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode