DIY Cheap CO2 Diffuser - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Cheap CO2 Diffuser

Hi all.

Firstly let me say this forum has taught me a lot of things about planted tank. My tank is just over a month old, but its good to see all flora and fauna (and the damned heebie jeebies) are doing well and happy.

Anyway, after my first failed attempt at DIYing CO2 reactor, I decided to start a new one with a new batch of yeast. (Turns out my previous yeast was probably half-staled since it was opened since about 2 yrs ago). Following the guidelines in youtube and in this forum, I managed to get the CO2 reactor up and running (waited overnight to see some bubbling action).

Then, I was stuck at DIYing the diffuser. Yep, I bought an airstone since it is cheap, but it still is giving quite BIG bubbles. Probably it's a cheapo airstone I don't know. So I proceed with trying to make myself a Bell diffuser using top side of soda bottle being cut about 4cm from the cap. It worked but when the bell is full, a HUGE BUBBLE pops up. Blegh.

So I decided to scour around my house and look for many ways to test.. finally I came to find that using my spectacles' cloth (for wiping spectacles) is a great choice to make bubbles very fine.

I run my hose direct from the CO2 reactor bottle (thru 1 check valve). Then I tied with rubber band to make a U shape. I used back the "Bell" diffuser that I made earlier and wrap the opening with the cloth. Secured it with another rubber band. And Voila it works to give 10s of tiny bubbles. I place this right under the water "return" from my filter.

And, as the saying goes, a picture worth a thousand words, there you go:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Is that cloth what they call "microfiber"? It never occurred to me that it would have extremely small pores in it - good find!

Of course, the potential problem is how long the cloth will last in CO2 rich water.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think it is microfiber. It is one of these:

The cloth is silky like, but a little bit stretchable.

No idea how long it will last. But good thing I can wash it once in a while if it ever gets dirty. I'll reply back here later if anything bad happens.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Algae Grower

I use a cigarette filter inside the tube and get tiny bubbles as well. I just cut like a 1/16th of a inch thick and stuff it in there.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusted View Post
I use a cigarette filter inside the tube and get tiny bubbles as well. I just cut like a 1/16th of a inch thick and stuff it in there.
How do u fit it in the hose?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Algae Grower

Just some of it goes in not the whole thing, maybe I was just lucky it creating small bubbles.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusted View Post
Daym. I quit smokin too early.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode