Induction Equipment - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Induction Equipment

So I'm looking at some Koralia pumps and just wondered if anybody has seen or heard of any inductive in-tank equipment like a water circulation pump, etc. that's designed to remove 'the cord'.

Seems to me it would be possible to put a small inductive motor to a Koralia style unit and have a piece that attaches on the outside of the glass that would hold an electric field to run the device. These things run on low current already and I imagine you could even have some that ran off a small rechargeable battery like this and recharged through the glass.

Anybody have any thoughts on this or am I way off base on how this could work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Other Tanks: Fluval Edge, 20G Long Grow Tank, 55 Gallon Angel, 20G Tall Breeder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:01 PM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
I believe these are driven by a magnetic field through the glass:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CDwQ8wIwAw

There are many like this
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbotts View Post
These things run on low current already and I imagine you could even have some that ran off a small rechargeable battery like this and recharged through the glass.

Anybody have any thoughts on this or am I way off base on how this could work?
Either you are underestimating the current or overestimating capacities of today's batteries. Even a small pump that's meant to run continuously is not a good choice for batteries. Plus, unless you find a 12VDC pump, you would have to somehow add an inverter to get the 110VAC.

Something like this might work for a low wattage moonlight perhaps.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
I believe these are driven by a magnetic field through the glass:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CDwQ8wIwAw

There are many like this
These are not cordless. They are controlled by a wireless controller but not without a power cord. I thought the same thing when I was looking at them a while back.

@wasserpest
I see your point on the battery. However, if you had an induction motor in the unit and had an electric field you produced on the other side of the glass then you wouldn't need the battery, you would just need to produce enough electricity to power the size of the motor.
I don't know enough about these to speculate but it seems you could do something like the wireless "power mats" that we are using for cell phones now. You could have a little sticky square you attach to the outside of your tank and your drive motor, just inside at the same point.

Other Tanks: Fluval Edge, 20G Long Grow Tank, 55 Gallon Angel, 20G Tall Breeder
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The system would have to almost directly copy the Vortech for it to be practical, as the efficiency of inductive power transfer falls through the floor the farther away you get from the power source. The cost and engineering required to get this working effectively would far outweigh the benefit, considering the high efficiency traditional pumps that are currently on the market. Magnetic transfer of mechanical power is more efficient, but Ecotech Marine has that all patented.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode