DIY CO2 causing white growth on diffuser? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Akira
DIY CO2 causing white growth on diffuser?

I am running DIY CO2 through 2 bubble counters and im getting a weird white growth on my difffuser. What is this?!? I also think this is the cause of what I thought was white hair algae but maybe related!!

Anyone ever ran into this???

Eheim Pimp #292

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
im getting this too. i have to clean it with a stick every morning. idk what it is.. i thought it was the solution coming up the line, so i was going to do a DIY bubble counter. but seems like you tried that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Back in the day when I used the DIY co2, I had this too. It's pretty normal from what I experienced and it was harmless. Just requires some cleaning here and there. I forget why it seems to happen with the DIY but I believe its just harmless bacteria growth.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

its really bad for me, it restricts my co2 flow ALOT

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did any of you guys grow HC while running DIY Co2??? I am getting little white strands stringing togethor between the plants. I have done some peroxide treatmeant(3ml per gallon for 2 hours with no moving water) and it didn't seem to eat the stuff up..

Eheim Pimp #292

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
It's probably the yeast mixture leaking into the tank. Is your co2 bottle situated below the water level of the tank?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes it is well below the water line. I have 3 2 liters going into a dasani bottle(bubble counter) and then into my rhinox bubble counter..

Eheim Pimp #292

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When it's below the water level, water from your tank can back up into the bottle and cause the mixture to ooze out into the tank. If you place the co2 bottles above the water line it shouldn't happen, also having check valves help.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
No, I believe this just happens over time using diy co2, it's normal. Just remove your diffuser & clean it. It'll slowly build back up, rinse, repeat.
It'll stay on the diffuser when removed if you don't go "poking it with sticks" till you get to where you're cleaning it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for that link trixella.

Also I do have a check valve placed after the first bubble counter so nothing is mixing but I think its just inevitable that residue will leak through. I have ditched the DIY CO2 and will be doing major water changes/rinsing out all my filter medium(it has no fish) in an effort to combat this.
Hopefully be next week I will have ordered my presurrized system.

Eheim Pimp #292

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good choice! I tried the diy at first too until it oozed into my tank. Pressurized is much nicer if you can afford it.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Planted Member

This is exactly why I stopped using DIY, I would have to clean off my diffuser a couple times a day. I believe it's yeast colonizing the sintered glass in the diffuser. I don;t think it comes from direct liquid contact, but instead small particles of yeast floating in the CO2 gas as it comes through the tube. It never seemed to have a negative effect on my tank when I scraped it off, but what a pain in the butt!

FINALLY!!! I actually have some planted tanks!!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

yeah, i'd have to clean the diffuser every day! and thats not something i would look forward to. for me i think it is the yeast solution creeping up, because in the bell of the diffuser, i just noticed some cream colored fluid. i need to make a bubble counter

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

After a day of not using my DIY Co2 I can already see that some of the crap is no longer in my tank! man. i did all kinda stuff trying to get rid of it thinking it was white hair algea..I feel silly now!

Eheim Pimp #292

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode