DIY CO2 Mixture - cups? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 Mixture - cups?

Hi, im not certain about your measurements for the yeast+sugar mixture.

I read, 1/4 t/spoon yeast, and 2 cups of sugar (some say 1 cup). But, what is this cup measurement? how big is the cup?

My apologies for being a noob. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No need to apologize for not knowing something . 1 cup is equal to 240 ml or 8 fluid ounces or 1/2 pint or 200 grams (of sugar).

I use that 1/4 tsp yeast and 2 cups of sugar for my 6 gallon tank. It lasts almost 3 weeks. For my larger 20g I use 1/2 tsp and 2 cups, and it lasts just about 2 weeks. So, the more yeast you use the more CO2 you can make but it will eat through the sugar faster.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
l
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
wow i must be using to much yeast! i use 1 tsp and 2 cups of suger. lol!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
Well it's all based on how much CO2 you want, if you want hi bps, then you can put more yeast but the mixture wont last as long. If you want say 1 bubble per 3 seconds then you can put less yeast and it would last a lot longer since there's more sugar to nom nom on

Nothing Ventured. Nothing Gained.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i see, that makes sense. i change my co2 once a week so i can have a high bps. its almost 2-3 bps

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Oops! Forgot to mention I'm using brewer's yeast. It's called Lalvin K1V-1116 Montpellier . It's a pretty fast fermenting yeast. I haven't had any experience with other yeast's so the 1 tsp might apply for those.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

mine is bakers yeast... i used to use 1/2 tsp. so you were correct

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just because it doesn't make a lot of sense for you to be familiar with the teaspoon measurement and not the cup, a teaspoon is not just a spoon used for stirring tea. It's 5 mL. Imperial units are crazy.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
Just because it doesn't make a lot of sense for you to be familiar with the teaspoon measurement and not the cup, a teaspoon is not just a spoon used for stirring tea. It's 5 mL. Imperial units are crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJack
1 cup is equal to 240 ml or 8 fluid ounces or 1/2 pint or 200 grams (of sugar).

BlueJack & Jason, Thank you very much for this explanation. Yep, I did thought 1 teaspoon is the measure of the spoon that I use to make tea/coffee!

EXCELLENT! Will be making the mixture for my 10G today..! Cheers all!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hm..... Ok i made the mixture but so far nothing happens?

I activated the yeast already with warm water. I have checkvalves and as diffuser I use a piece of coral. I tried to blow it before, and it is able to produce quite fine size of bubbles.. (like 2mm diameter or so)..

What am I suppose to expect in the co2 bottle? I don't see any foam at all and it has been 20 minutes.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
It's going to take several hours to get going and won't hit max until the next day or so. Go to sleep and in the morning it should be going.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
It's going to take several hours to get going and won't hit max until the next day or so. Go to sleep and in the morning it should be going.
Hi thanks.... I was worried that my baker yeast might be a dud. Will wait till tomorrow for some action. Cheers
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Did you shake the mix before connecting it? That also helps Jump start it. But if you didn't it will just take longer. Like someone said, should be going by tomorrow

You can call me Bob

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Did you shake the mix before connecting it? That also helps Jump start it. But if you didn't it will just take longer. Like someone said, should be going by tomorrow

You can call me Bob
Hi, actually, I really suspect the yeast could be a dud. It is in fact quite old dried yeast (about 1.5years ago i opened it, but i closed it back and have not used it ever since).

Just now I made a smaller test, of higher ratio of yeast to sugar water. but still no foam or whatsoever even after 1 hour +. This is a sign of dead yeast right?

So Im getting a new dried yeast tomorrow.

I am however thinking to reuse the sugar water (with dead yeast inside).. its such a waste to throw it..
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did you use hot water? If it's too hot it will kill the yeast.

Ya, use that same water for the new yeast. It has nutrients in it from the dead yeast. I've heard of people heating then freezing then re-heating yeast (basically exploding it) to provide a nutrient base for the new yeast to eat. Yeast needs more than just sugar to really excel, that's why professional brewers add yeast nutrients to the fermentation. All that extra work just adds to the life of the yeast. Personally, I'm too lazy and just add sugar.

l
l
l

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode