Aquarium to Riparium Help: - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
Aquarium to Riparium Help:

Switching a 29g tank from a full blown aquarium to a Riparium w/ some perks. Now I'm doing this using equipment that I already have and have established that my equipment list is really bulky for a riparium. I'm aware that this is overkill but regardless it's going to work because I want it to work ! Going w/ a small footprint but I want large impact. My ultimate goal is to have this system set up so that as water is evaporated it is replaced by a "storm" that will "rain" water into the tank.

Equipment List:
T5HO Lighting fixture, Eheim 2217, Marineland 350, 29g Acrylic aquarium, UV sterilizer (in line), Heater (In line), Ultimate GLA C02 system w/ in line diffuser

Problem #1: My Lighting system is not set up to be a system that dims on demand. This is my current lighting system:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Lig...s.html?tc=fish

Now I want to make it so that I can hook the fixture up to a timer or something similar and make it dim whenever I set it to. This is going to have to work in conjunction with 3 or 4 other items to get the desired effect I want. To top it all off I'm not exactly a master electrician. This is going to require some ingenuity on my part.

Problem #2: The aquarium is acrylic not glass. Yet I would prefer to drill 2 holes in the bottom of the tank for the filter (1 in and 1 out) so that I can keep the visible equipment as minimal as possible. I think using both filters on this build would be overkill and unnecessary. So we're only going to use 1. Is this possible ? What sort of bit would I need ?

Problem #3: I plan on making a device to make it seem like its raining in the tank. Obviously also needs to be on a timer. My first idea was to use a water basin filled w/ RO water, a powerhead, tubing, and a piece of acrylic with small holes drilled into it that would be placed just under the inner lip of the aquarium. That way the water would get pulled from the basin onto the acrylic and would drip down into aquarium. Giving it the illusion of rain. Makes sense in my head. Whether or not it'll work is another story. Open to suggestions here.

Problem #4: Need a device that will simulate fog. I've seen it done but not on this small of a scale. Not quite sure how to tackle this yet. Need to research further.

Problem #5: How to simulate the actual lightning and thunder should be the easiest part of all this. Thunder will be produced by some sort of speaker. Be clutch if I could get one of those natures noise makers hooked up to a timer ... Lightning could be a bit more tricky. Strobe lighting on a timer possibly ?

As you can see I clearly have my work cut out for me. I'm determined to make this work though ! I'm just going to need to have a lot of questions answered a long the way and some expert advice as well. Here's hoping and as always thanks for your help in advance !

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
A few answers for you:

1- You will need to find ballasts that are dimmable and swap them out.

2- Being acrylic it will be super easy to drill jsut need a quality hole saw in the size you need for your bulk heads

3- A misting system would be the best way to simulate a rain storm and have it be fairly consistent

4- You can make a fogger out of a cool mist humidifier do a google search there are alot of frog keepers that use this setup.

5- Costly but you could look into a Profilux controller that would do all of what you ask. Otherwise it will be using multiple timers to control everything.

You can look in the journals for my 150g riparium thread and find alot of information as I did most of what you looking for.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've actually read through your build a few times Craig. You did an amazing job. I can only hope my build comes out 1/2 as well as yours. I have a few questions about the bulkheads. How do you know what size you need ? I see that you and I are using the same in line pieces. How has that worked out for you with the bulk heads ? Also what are the benefits of the reactor you built over an in line diffuser ? Thank you for the mister/cool mist humidifier idea. Do you think they will work well together ? Or should I choose just 1 or the other ?

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool mist humidifier looks like it might work well. Anybody have any experience with the repti-fogger ?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also seriously considering the Profilux II (http://www.ghl-direct.com/proddetail.php?prod=PL-00001). Will work great for this project and will be even better once I upgrade to a larger tank ! Digging the touch screen add on as well. That would have to wait til Xmas though.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
A mist/rain/fog isn't really necessary for growing most of the the high-humidity riparium plants--a semi-tight canopy will keep the air plenty moist enough--but with a mister or fogger you could get Java moss and other mosses growing emersed really great. Craigthor got some really great mosses going with his mister.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I'll be real interested to see what you dig up on the electronic control and dimmable lighting too. I am working on two different projects (a viv and a riparium) at a local museum and it would be great to add in more control of lighting and misting. There might even be fun museum visitor display interactivity that could be configured into something like that...you know, like buttons that they could push or something for semi-control of lighting or misting or fish feeding.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I'm going to be looking for 1 really great piece of wood. Preferably a stump for this project. I'm kind of overwhelmed right now but I like where my mind is wandering. The Profilux controller is rediculously awesome but I'm thinking I could get a similar effect just using standard timers. Don't think i need all that other stuff. So my priorities right now are to figure out what size bulkheads I need for an eheim 2217 and to figure out how to replace the ballasts in my lighting fixture.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also curious about the reactor Craig built. Think I'll look into that tomorrow.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I love having my equipment plumbed through the bottom and no visible equipment in the tank.

As for the bulkheads I used 1" bulkheads and got threaded fitting to the bulkheads and barbed piece for the hose. Being you are doing a 29g tank you could very well get away with probably 1/2" bulk heads just need to match your holesaw to the bulkhead as the hole will be larger than the hose size.

For the reactor there is a thread here in the DIY section with plans to make this reactor plus a link to where I got the info for it at.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ill definitely be drilling at some point. I love the look of having no visible equipment.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode