Aquarium Background - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium Background

I have a 55gal aquarium that I plan to use for rainbowfish, but I don't know what to do with the background. I want to do something that will make the colors in the fish look great so I was thinking of painting the back of it black. I fear that doing this will make the tank look too dark though. Any opinions? I have a double strip T5HO so maybe that will provide enough light to keep the tank bright?
My other option I have been contemplating is making a DIY background... but they look so complicated. Has anyone had experience with these?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I like black backgrounds, it makes the plants and the fish pop. It does not look dark at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
My black substrate doesn't seem to look dark under my dual t5ho, without reflectors, yet.

That's in a 40 tall (12x18x24 inches).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I prefer tinted window film myself. Looks like a dark mirror from the front/sides, but you can still look from the back to see things through the back glass.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY backgrounds are not that hard, and in my opinion really pay off to make the tank more natural looking.
I like the foam and concrete method. It will take a week, and up to a week of soaking, but is worth it.
1. Either use Great Stuff, or silicone on foam to the back. Using foam that you silicone is probably easier, because you need to trim the Great Stuff, plus it is easier to use very thin pieces, so you don't lose much depth.
2. Paint on "concrete floor patch." It can dry to a "feather edge," and is polymer modified so it holds up to water better.
3. Repeat #2 one or 2 more times. Add black and/or brown acrylic paint to the last coat to make it dark gray. Wait several days before applying the last coat so it can fill in any cracks.
3. Paint it: Spray with water, wash on diluted black acrylic paint, wipe off with a towel. Let dry.
4. Lightly sand the edges with 220 grit or finer sand paper to add highlights.
5. Neutralize it by filling the tank, adding some vinigar, letting it soak for a few days.

Just my 2 cents.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I just finished a DIY background for a 10g (tried with my 55g but it was hideous -lol).

The cementing was a huge PITA and it looked far worse after cementing than before. I tossed it and started smaller with the 10g. I simply used drylock paint directly on the styrofoam - looks tons better and is SO much faster (3 days total. a day for carving, silicone and paint)

That being said.....I'm going to pull it out and cover the back with black construction paper. Maybe silicone some rocks together and cover with moss, make a moss wall, etc. My DIY looks good, but it doesnt look natural - i'm sure it'd look nicer with moss on it however.....hmmmm.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode