materials for small scale diy overflow - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
materials for small scale diy overflow

I'm would like to try and make a diy overflow for my shrimp tank using the smallest possible tube size and of course try to keep the cost down since this is just a trial. I'm looking into using 1/4" tubing used for RO connections but the fittings are kind of expensive, about $4 a pop to make the bends.

Anyone have an idea of small size tubing I can use that has 180 or elbow fittings that are cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
CPVC tubing, sold at Ace Hardware (at least at my local Ace Hardware) come in 1/2 inch size, and the 1/2" is the outside diameter, not the inside diameter. I have used it for an overflow, and it worked fine, but I wouldn't want to try anything smaller. Even this gives you a very small flow rate, so if you are adding water to the tank and wanting this to keep up with the incoming flow, it isn't good for that.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is this CPVC? I use an airline when adding water to my shrimp tank so that it goes in slow on one side of a 20 long. I have it divided into three so I cannot drain water fast. Also, if this overflow works, maybe I can set it up as a continous drip from my RO tank.

This is the reason I thought of using the 1/4" tubing.

I also saw your post on the overflow Hoppy. That is what I was trying to recreate with the small tubes.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reybie View Post
Is this CPVC? I use an airline when adding water to my shrimp tank so that it goes in slow on one side of a 20 long. I have it divided into three so I cannot drain water fast. Also, if this overflow works, maybe I can set it up as a continous drip from my RO tank.

This is the reason I thought of using the 1/4" tubing.

I also saw your post on the overflow Hoppy. That is what I was trying to recreate with the small tubes.
It looks like CPVC, but I'm not sure. As long as you are just dripping in the inlet water I think the 1/4" tube would work ok. I was adding about 5 gallons per hour flow rate, and my overflow couldn't begin to handle that much. I now have a PVC overflow on another tank and it flows much better, with around twice the tube diameter.

Hoppy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I found them for $2/elbow online, will have to see how much they sell it here locally.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Small diameter cpvc pipe and fittings should be very cheap at Lowe's/Home Depot, like $0.50 per fitting or less for 1/2".
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I will give the local HD/Lowes a try. I will try the cheaper route first since this is just a trial.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode