Arduino Controlled LED How-To Thread - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Arduino Controlled LED How-To Thread

I'm doing some research for my LED fixture, and trying to learn more about the Arduino controller. If you have any info, or good Faqs, How-to's or walkthroughs or info of any kind, please post it.

DIY Projects

http://www.arrg.ca/showthread.php?tid=9516&page=1
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987110
http://www.reefledcontroller.com/
http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.p...-pendent-build

Arduino Tutorial - Learn electronics and microcontrollers using Arduino! http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/index.html
You can get the EAGLE PCB design software for free here- http://cadsoftusa.com/

Parts:
http://ca.mouser.com/
http://www.dfrobot.com
Arduino Board
LCD Screen w Buttons
Real Time Clock
http://www.taydaelectronics.com
Digital Thermometer
http://www.hacktronics.com/
Breadboard
Wire Jumpers (F-M)

I'll add more to the list as info is found.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jcgd; 05-27-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Awesome bro. Thanks. I might send him a pm on that forum for some help. I plan on using the 48p with the pwm but I wasn't sure if later on I could add an arduino to it or not.

My 120 Gallon Shrimp Tank Rebuild finally started!!

New Journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Journal:

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:07 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
if you guys need coding help, just ask. I can write some pretty fast.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome MisterGreen. I'm going to keep you in mind. I was planning on doing a sunrise/sunset once I figure out how I can add the Arduino after I finish my LED fixture. Thanks!

New Journal:

Old Journal:

Two 2217s and 2215.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Using that guys part list and the info from the arduino forum plus code from mistergreen, the controller should be relatively simple to build.

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:20 AM
Children Boogie

I built a color LED a while back but the PAR output wasn't enough.

sunrise

daylight

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow that's pretty cool. So you have experience actually building the Arduino not just coding them?

New Journal:

Old Journal:

Two 2217s and 2215.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Another neat link with some par reading and reef application. This guy made pendants for his reef that are really neat. No dimming though, he didn't see the need.

http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.p...-pendent-build

post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Man, I need to learn how to do this, this would be super awesome to have. All my LEDs are on constant current drivers but this would be sweet to implement.

So I read that first link, would you just hook up the drivers to the arduino board, load up some code and you're good to go?

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
Man, I need to learn how to do this, this would be super awesome to have. All my LEDs are on constant current drivers but this would be sweet to implement.

So I read that first link, would you just hook up the drivers to the arduino board, load up some code and you're good to go?
Me thinks that is correct. I'm not 100% sure on it yet. I find everybody is mentioning they are using the arduino boards but nobody is really saying how to do it. Hopefully this thread can blow it wide open.

The confusing part is that you can pretty much do whatever you want with the board. My understanding is that it pretty much allows you to create a custom PLC. Give it real world input, covert that signal to 0-5v and it can use that info to put out another 0-5v signal to do whatever you want. I think.

We don't need to do much so you can have it turn lights on/off a certain times, fade in/out, control fans to control the heat on you fixture, etc. Programming random storms should be relatively simple if you know how to code, but things like cloud cover would require individually controlled LEDs unless you want to simply dim one driver or a few drivers at a time. It would be more challenging to have a could 'float' over the tank a few LEDs at a time.

I am not completely sure, but the limits of the arduino seem to be our imaginations, and $$$ of course.

I'm thinking that soon someone is going to figure out how to get the arduino ready so they can make a bunch up and sell them like people are selling regulator setups. It seems a board, the necessary resistors, transistors, clock, etc. for a dimmable sunrise/sunset fixture would run about $50 plus a hobby box if you want it nice and neat. Add in $30 bucks labour and you have a quick and dirty controller someone could sell in the SNS. If you are making a few at a time it should be easy to throw together.

The fixture itself isn't the difficult part to figure out. Choosing LEDs can be tough, but once decided, throw them on a heat sink wired in series and wire your driver... good to go. Of course you can get into parallel runs and all that, but I'm not read up on how that works. Apparently you can somehow control each LED on it's own. I can't figure how that is done unless they are using a channel for every LED.

The really hard part is figuring out the part list and schematic for the controller itself. My first link at the top seems to have that covered. Those who know how to code can write up programs and give (or sell) the code to us who have no clue like anything else. Want moon cycles? Program for that. Thunder showers? Program for that.

It would seem most of use are using dimmable drivers with manual control because the reefkeeper and ALC is a touch too expensive. But if we already have the drivers running our LED strings, you can upgrade whenever you have an extra $100. As new upgrades become understood and commonplace you can upgrade without needing a new fixture.

Sunrise/sunset isn't needed by all, but if it's cheap and easy, who wouldn't want it.

post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Parts

http://ca.mouser.com/

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNY911 View Post
Wow that's pretty cool. So you have experience actually building the Arduino not just coding them?
of course
You have to learn the hardware too when playing with arduino. There are a few engineers floating around that could help way better than I can.

I don't see a timer interface for the ardiuno in the link provided by the op... You can set a clock for and set when the lights to turn on and off or fade in and out. You can do this with physical buttons & LED displays or hook up your laptop and control the times.

Or you can code it all but that makes it not flexible.

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
of course
You have to learn the hardware too when playing with arduino. There are a few engineers floating around that could help way better than I can.

I don't see a timer interface for the ardiuno in the link provided by the op... You can set a clock for and set when the lights to turn on and off or fade in and out. You can do this with physical buttons & LED displays or hook up your laptop and control the times.

Or you can code it all but that makes it not flexible.
He said somewhere he coded it while the clock wasn't being used but it lost a few minutes a day. In post #27 he list these parts for his clock:
DS1307+-ND Real Time Clock (ds1307 in schematic) .. 1
X1124-ND Crystal for RTC ... 1

Is that what you mean by a timer interface? I'm just not sure of the terminology for all this stuff yet.

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Hey everyone,

I've had an arduino Duemilanove micro controller running the led lighting on my tank for about a year now. For the time being,it is programmed to do sunrise/sunset dimming at a preset time each day. I'm still learning how to write code or "sketches" as their called in the Arduino IDE, but I have a small collection of working code that I can share with anybody that is interested. The Arduino Duemilanove/Uno outputs a 5 volt Pulse Width Modified signal that can be used to control led drivers/ motors ect... I built my own led drivers that can utilize the 5v PWM signal directly so connections are simplified for my use. Anyone running Meanwell dimmable drivers will need to add a simple switching transistor circuit between their drivers and the Arduino to raise it's output from 5vdc to the 10vdc needed by the meanwells. These controllers can be built for around $50.
I'm even building my own Arduino based controller from scratch that includes a LCD screen and menu driven controls.
Here's a photo of the PCB (from EAGLE PCB Designer) that I designed myself.
Attached Images

post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
Hey everyone,

I've had an arduino Duemilanove micro controller running the led lighting on my tank for about a year now. For the time being,it is programmed to do sunrise/sunset dimming at a preset time each day. I'm still learning how to write code or "sketches" as their called in the Arduino IDE, but I have a small collection of working code that I can share with anybody that is interested. The Arduino Duemilanove/Uno outputs a 5 volt Pulse Width Modified signal that can be used to control led drivers/ motors ect... I built my own led drivers that can utilize the 5v PWM signal directly so connections are simplified for my use. Anyone running Meanwell dimmable drivers will need to add a simple switching transistor circuit between their drivers and the Arduino to raise it's output from 5vdc to the 10vdc needed by the meanwells. These controllers can be built for around $50.
I'm even building my own Arduino based controller from scratch that includes a LCD screen and menu driven controls.
Here's a photo of the PCB (from EAGLE PCB Designer) that I designed myself.
Do you have any info on how do build your own drivers? Is it much cheaper than buying meanwells?

If anyone knows how to build a system step by step I would be very grateful.

Also, how would someone learn how to write the code for the controller?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode