Magnetic Manzanita - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Magnetic Manzanita

I want to attach magnets to the bases/ trunks of some manzanita trees I have so I can place them on the back glass of my tank so the look like they are floating.

I can't find magnets that will hold through 1/2" glass. Anyone have any ideas or alternatives?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I bet earth magnets will hold. But if it snaps to the glass then i almost guarantee a crack. They are rediculously strong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
KJ Magnetics should have something strong enough

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
There is no question that you can get strong enough magnets, but those are extremely dangerous things. You can't move one of them without first carefully figuring out the exact process you will use, the path you will follow with the magnet, and exactly where you will put it, so you don't get close to it with any magnetic material. If two of them get together, they will stay together. You can't separate them again without shattering them. If two of them get at all close together they will slam together shattering them and possibly catching fire.

I'm not exaggerating.

Hoppy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
There is no question that you can get strong enough magnets, but those are extremely dangerous things. You can't move one of them without first carefully figuring out the exact process you will use, the path you will follow with the magnet, and exactly where you will put it, so you don't get close to it with any magnetic material. If two of them get together, they will stay together. You can't separate them again without shattering them. If two of them get at all close together they will slam together shattering them and possibly catching fire.

I'm not exaggerating.
yeup, its no joke.

I took 5 magnets and dropped them all on the table, they came together and snapped so hard that if I were to put my finger there, it would nip it.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Separating 3/4 inch dia by 1/8 inch thick rare earth magnets, once stuck together, is very difficult. I do it by resting one edge of one against a sturdy table, then pushing down on the other, so they "shear" apart. Right now I have a couple stuck together that I haven't been able to separate. To hold a manzanita branch through 1/2 inch thick glass would take much stronger magnets.

Hoppy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
why not lower the water level an use silicone let cure an refill? or you could even get a weaker magnet an silicone it to the inside back glass and carve out a void for another magnet an gorilla glue it inside it so they can both sit flush an walla removable if needed to clean and does exactly what u were looking for. something like that work for u?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am not sure if silicone would be strong enough to hold a branchy piece of wood to the glass with only the stump attached.

I have somewhat figured out the size magnets needed and hoppy is 100% correct. Each magnet would run about $40, I'd need two for each piece and I would have to be very, very careful not to break the glass or my hands. These magnets would have a few hundred pounds of force holding them together, and around 30 pound with the glass between. I don't even want magnets this strong around.

This idea is kinda shot. The only other option I could think of was to create either a DIY background with the wood coming out (which could look very cool) or making a support system of wood on the back of the tank and attach the wood to that. It could get bulky fast, but could look interesting if done right.

I will soon have a batch of wood from Badcopnofishtank, Tharsis, PC1 and hopefully Plantbrain in a few weeks so I have to decide what kind of scape I want to go with. I will have an abundance of each kind, and they are are very different, so I will have some decisions to make.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Get smaller rare earth magnets. Not the huge ones. Much like what devon uses for magnetic riparium planters.

No need for huge 3/4 inch magnets. 1/8 inch will prob do the trick.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That's what I though originally, but I figure ill need 10 pounds off pull strength or so, and the calculator on kj said if need to pretty big magnets to do it through the glass. Did I use it wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Get smaller rare earth magnets. Not the huge ones. Much like what devon uses for magnetic riparium planters.

No need for huge 3/4 inch magnets. 1/8 inch will prob do the trick.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

3/4 inch diameter by 1/8 inch thick rare earth magnets will barely work with 3/8 inch thick glass, to hold a very light drop checker. Magnets lose attractive strength fast once you separate them a little bit, so the extra 1/8 inch would definitely require thicker rare earth magnets. Another problem is that magnets don't stop rotational movement at all, unless there is a friction coating on the one attached to what is being held. The friction between it and the glass helps stop rotation. However, using two magnets inside and two outside the tank eliminates that problem.

Why not just use glue to attach the pieces of wood together, so you end up with a stable assembly, and no attachment to the glass is necessary? You can also use stainless steel screws that way.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode