30g breeder rimless conversion? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
30g breeder rimless conversion?

I'm considering a new tank and was wondering if anyone had successfully derimmed a 30g breeder. I've seen lots of 20L tanks that were derimmed without much trouble and a 40 breeder that was derimmed then given a eurobrace around the top. I'm after the additional width that the breeder gives but am not particularly interested in the extra height that a 40 breeder would give, as this will wind up being a shallow water riparium of sorts (if it happens.) I'm fairly certain there would be no problems for my idea, but I'd like a tank that I could tear down and fill completely in the future when I decide to try something new as well.

Any thoughts? This tank would be roughly the same height as a 20L, but approximately 6" longer and wider.

Second challenge is finding a 30g breeder, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 AM
Planted Member

Thumbs up

I like the sound of the tank you're describing. I just got done pulling the rim off of a 30 gal regular(30x~20x12) and it is sitting outside full of water now. Seems like it's holding... I've been looking at building my own wide tank(24x18x12) and trying to price out glass, but I got to thinking when I was de-rimming. What if I were to tip the tank onto one of the sides(long one) thereby making that the bottom, then, remove the top, and make that the new side. Of course I'd need to take it all the way apart and have the glass cut, but aside from that expense it'd be a free tank, exactly to my specs. If I decide to go this route, I will absolutely post back about it. Oh, and feel free to use the idea if you'd like; I'm sure a 30g reg would be a lot easier to find than a breeder.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:57 AM
Algae Grower

You're in the wrong metro area! Aquarium Adventures in Columbus stocks pretty much every Aqueon (All Glass) tank they make. Craigs list hunting may or may not work out for you.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I tried buying a crusty old 30 breeder from a wholesaler who was shutting down here, but it wound up being more or less uncleanable in the end (glass was pitted rather that coated with gunk.) I can order them from the local fish guys for about $85, but I'm cheap.

The difficulty with switching sides as you're describing, jdm68, is that the bottom glass is substantially thicker than the sides (hopefully) so you'd have one super beefy side (no big deal) and a weak bottom. Nothing worse than a weak bottom.

I am thinking of just getting a 40 breeder and going for it, in any case. It turns out that the fish I'm thinking of are really good jumpers so I might need the extra height of a 40. I'm thinking of an all local native riffle riparium, by the way. I've been looking for the right stones, but, crazy as it sounds, there just don't seem to be stones that are sufficiently algae coated for what I want to do. I'm thinking of using a really dense coating of green algae as a lawn of sorts. Wish I could find some native underwater mosses that liked strong currents, but that hasn't gone so well thus far. The only spot I see them (strongly rooted green moss and/or algae) is at the top of a local waterfall (where a guy just got killed being stupid and getting too close to the edge...) I want the depth of a breeder for the riparium aspect of it all, but I might just go with a 40 long so that I can get a crazy good riffle going...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I derimmed a 50 and it went real well. I found it necessary to reomve the existing silicone and reseal the seams, but it was pretty easy to make a nice straight seam with some masking tape. I do not trust this tank filled with water so there are a few inches empty at the top.

A derimmed 30 breeder would be a perfect shape for a riparium setup. It would make a nice pond effect and plenty of room for the abovewater plants to grow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode