Simple External DIY Filter Design - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Simple External DIY Filter Design

I began by thinking about creating my own cannister filter but couldn't figure out what best to use for the cannister itself. The cannister had to be readily available and had to fit the job without too much modification.

After reading through other posts on this subject (some members seem to have done a pretty good job) I couldn't help but feel that there was an easier way of going about it. Then it occurred to me that the cannister wasn't actually necessary. You could achieve the same thing by putting filtration media into a pvc hose as long as it was wide enough and long enough. The advantage with this is you don't have to make any modifcations to anything and it would be much easier to get the whole thing water tight.

The restriction with this design is that the pump would either:
have to be able to run out of water so you can attach inlet and outlet hoses to it outside of the aquarium
OR
it will have to be in the aquarium itself.

Let me know what you think. Are there any flaws in my idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Planted Member

5 gallon capacity.
Food grade stainless steel.
Sealed!
Abundance of readily obtainable parts.
Rated for a higher pressure than almost any aquarium filter will ever see.
All for about $25!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

They look good but do I need to drill holes into them to turn them into cannister filters?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Planted Member

Yep, A hole saw and a couple of bulkheads and you should be in business!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What are those containers? The look almost like pressurized whipped cream containers.

Hoppy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

those canisters are neat, what are they?

I've entertained the idea of creating my own canister by using the larger size pvc in line with a drilled tank running a siphon.

I think a sump might be easier. Every siphon I've run slows a lot with any kind of restriction. How hard is it to match pump to the restricted flow of a filtered siphon?

At least the sump give you some volume margin for error (always good in DIY, from my experience)

I've read commercial aquaculturalists use a clarifier to settle out solids, then you just drain it, no filter pads, although it would probably be nice to use pads to fine polish. does anyone have experience with these or know applicability to home aquarium?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Planted Member

They are Cornelous kegs. (Corney kegs). They used to be used in pretty much every soda fountain / commercial soda dispenser until the soft drink manufactures switched over to the cardboard boxes with a plastic bladder. So now there are literally tens of thousands of these lying around waiting to be re-purposed.

Check out your local Craigs list. The home brew guys use them a lot for kegging their own beer. Any home brew store will carry them and the replacement parts and seals. Most soft drink distributors will have them around for a very cheap price. The kegs that Coke (Left 2 in picture) used are a little bigger in diameter and a little shorter than the Pepsi (right 2 in picture) kegs and the Coke kegs are usually a little cheaper because most of the home brew guys prefer the connectors on the Pepsi kegs. They should be perfect for a DIY filter... and I am not even trying to sell you anything other than the idea!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
How hard is it to match pump to the restricted flow of a filtered siphon?
Pretty much impossible! The flow rate of the siphon has too many parameters that will change. Even a bit of evaporation will throw it off.

If you want to go this route it is best to go with an overflow. Either drilled and mounted in the tank or a hang on back overflow with siphon tubes. With this setup the water enters the filter as quick as the pump can get it back to the tank. The main disadvantage to this system is they can be noisy. Many approaches have been developed to quite the gurgling.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
Yep, A hole saw and a couple of bulkheads and you should be in business!
Then I think you've missed my point. Although the containers themselves are originally able to withstand high pressures, once you've drilled a couple of holes into them their ability to do so are compromised.

With hoses I don't need to modify anything and although the containers are cheap at $25, pvc hoses and hose fittings are less than $5.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Good luck with putting a bulkhead fitting on one of those...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Good luck with putting a bulkhead fitting on one of those...
These should work just fine for about $2!

http://www.aussieglobe.com/uniseal2.htm

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/829/Uniseals

RE:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ostid=13800952
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I don't know if this would work, but what if you used an elbow joint and set the pump inside that (i'm thinking of a pump sort of like this) if you put it in the "short arm" of the now "L-shaped" tube with the outflow pointing into the long part of the "L"......you WOULD have to drill holes into the end caps of the PVC and seal tubing to them.....but I'm thinking you'd have to do that anyway? or use an adapter that allows you to attach narrower diameter piece of PVC to the wide one.....then you would only have to drill and seal an outlet for the cord.

If that doesn't make any sense, I can draw a picture for you (or try to )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
here's my take...

5 gallon bucket with the sealing lid. You can buy them at a lot of places like Lowes, Home Depot etc. Easy to cut/drill and attach fittings and stuff. The trick to keeping it sealed is put the pump on the outside of the bucket inline with the return, that way there's no pressure in the bucket to blow the lid off.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The pressure comes from the added depth of the water. If you've got it stored under the tank then it has to be able to hold 2 or 3' of water pressure. Most all of these that work have to be kept at the same level as the tank or else they leak, from what I've seen (same deal with lock n lock containers). If you've made one that worked while well below the water level in a 5 gallon bucket I'd love to see it. (Serious comment, not trying to be obnoxious.)

Tags
diy filter external

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode