My steel DIY tank stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My steel DIY tank stand

Hello everyone, long time listener first time caller. I ran into a little problem with my store bought tank stand..it started to bow. So I decided to build my own stand but I wanted to make it out of steel rather than wood just for the simple reason that I have all metal working tools and nothing for wood. I made just a simple rectangular design measuring 34'' L x 19'' W x 34'' H using 1/8'' thick 2 x 2's as the main structure and 1'' square tube for the bottom cross bars.

I miter cut the top frame for a smoother look

Thats pops doing the welding as I dont have a steady hand and my welds come out crappy

A little bondo over the welds for a really smooth surface.

And thats what I have so far, I'll update later as its coming along. I plan on adding a 3/4'' plywood top and sides to sit flush with the legs and also paint it Krylon Hammer finish black.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I bet you that won't bow!!! I love metal stands. Very nice job so far. I wish I knew how to weld.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Nice. My friend is a welder and I am going to try to get him to make me a stainless steal stand at some point.

Are you planning on skinning it? Wood or metal?

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Nice. My friend is a welder and I am going to try to get him to make me a stainless steal stand at some point.

Are you planning on skinning it? Wood or metal?

I wish I could have done all stainless would have looked awsome all polished out. I'm gonna put some wood skins on the sides and front, I got them cut out today and I finished the actual structure of the stand. Im taking a break in between coats of paint right now I hope it comes out good, I'll post more pictures of the progress
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez79 View Post
I wish I could have done all stainless would have looked awesome all polished out.

Luv all stainless

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well heres an update where I'm at with this. I finished the top and began staining it today with Minwax classic black stain, which im very impressed with how its coming out. The actual stand is done and painted, Im pretty anxious to get the tank on top of this stand so the skins might have to wait to get added on.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok one more from this morning

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post

Luv all stainless
Thats a pretty slick stand, did you do that yourself? I was thinking of adding some tubes in the rear so I could do a light set up like yours in the near future.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez79 View Post
Thats a pretty slick stand, did you do that yourself? I was thinking of adding some tubes in the rear so I could do a light set up like yours in the near future.
Shameless plug for my thread LOL
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...k-warning.html

Yes I put it together, I kinda DIY most of my stuff. Keeping the thin SS from drawing during the weld was a HUGE PITA. TIG and wire with 1/4" clearance on the lower tank.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode