DIY CO 2 bottles - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
DIY CO 2 bottles

Man have you guys tried using an Arizona Tea gallon container. I did an experiment and made a mixture and left it the the jug for a week now with no venting of the gases. It's wrapped in plastic bags, but still has not exploded. I even shake it every day. Plastic is pretty thick, and the tea tastes good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC
Im not sure why you would experiment this in a closed container, not something id like to experience. But that container should work just as well as any other just youll have to figure out the proper ratios.

Andrew

Whats in your glass box?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I did it to see how long I would have to neglect my bottles before an explosion to happen as a preventative measure.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
It's very possible that the bottle doesn't have a gas tight seal. Once the pressure reaches a certain point it causes a leak.

BTW, no plastic you could wrap around the bottle would contain the explosion of the bottle. Not unless you were measuring the thickness of the plastic wrap in inches.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 07:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
Sorry but an experiment like this seems stupid to do. Asking to either make a mess or worse, hurt yourself or someone else(Especially the shaking part). I really doubt the plastic would hold unless measured in inches like rex said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Appologies to all. Thanks for the replys, now I know just how powerful the bang must be. Did not think it would be that severe, but seems it would be dangerous with the succeeding posts warning of injury. I will be even, more attentive to my bootles contained indoors to lessen accidents. Has anyone had this happen, how long would pressure have to be backed up to cause an explosion? I put T valves with rubber caps on mine to help with possible back-pressure related accidents.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
This reminds me of the time when I was a young whipper-snapper and was told that an egg will explode in the microwave. So two of us young, energetic, scientists put the egg in a bowl and wrapped it really tight in plastice wrap. After one minute on high power, we said it was hagwash and then BOOM. There the two of us were... covered in egg parts. The plastic didn't hold and well neither did the microwave door. Man.. twenty years later my mom still holds a grudge on that one. At least it wasn't glass.

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 04:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
As to how loud the explosion would be, In the army we used a variant gas cerating substance, A MRE heater and a 20 ounce pop bottle to simulate training grenades. It is loud and very messy espically with yest mix, but not that destructive. I would assume that most beverage containers polyester bottles are about the same thickness. It is usually the cap that fails.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Dwarfpufferfish
When I was a young wipper snapper we used to make 2 liter "bombs". We were quite the little chemists and would find chemical reactions that would cause a similar event to what would happen with the build up of CO2 from a yeast mix. With a 2 liter the bang was quite noticeable! It often drew the attention of the police! If you pay attention to the news you will see mail boxes often destroyed by these types of "bombs". VERY Dangerous!

-------------------------------------

information.
-------------------------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode