Hoppy's DIY CO2 method - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Hoppy's DIY CO2 method

OK I'm thinkin' that I might have to cave in on my low tech tank w/o CO2 and getting some modest CO2 injection and doing modest water colum and substrate ferts as those new T5HO lights I just got might be too bright for my tank as it's set up now. However I like the light as it looks way better than the dim T5NO bulbs I had before.

I'm an avid KISS methodology proponent. If it gets too complicated, then it ceases being fun and becomes yet another chore. If I want to trim some plants on a weekly basis, I'll mow the lawn LOL.

I like this post I found from Hoppy. Anyone have any additional advice or caveats?

What are the expected bubble rates at room temps say 20-30C/70-85F?

What are the chances of ODing the fish running this CO2 24/7?

I've got a Marineland Magnum 350 turning my 40gal over very well with good surface ripple to help oxygenate the fish. I'll also be feeding the CO2 bubble stream into its intake.

I'll most likely cross over to the dark side eventually and go with pressurized CO2 in a larger tank since I'm a computer overclocker and overclocking plants should be right up my alley LOL

Thanx for reading this,

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.

Last edited by audioaficionado; 05-11-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It ought to work fine. I'd add a small bead of silicone around the inside of the cap where the tubing passes through and on the bubble counter's holes as well. Small leaks add up. With no valve to control the flow rate and in my 70 degree house, this basic setup produces about 2 bps and slowly falls from there. Hotter room = more bubbles. No real chance of ODing the fish in a 40 gallon tank with this setup.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use less sugar in my mix, but it's a smaller container (2L, 2/3 full). I get around 2bps @ 72F depending somewhat on how much yeast I use. Yeast growth is exponential, so if you put more in, you reach higher numbers with more sugar in the water, meaning a higher bubble rate, but less longevity. I usually use a heaping 1/4 teaspoon. I inject into a lift tube under a powerhead, so there may be some venturi effect increasing the bubble rate.

I don't use the alternating, two container method as I have found that to produce too much CO2 for my little ten gallon tank. CO2 is plenty stable enough as long as I change the bottle every second week.

I tasted the "bath tub gin" that's left after two weeks once, and it really tastes quite terrible. It's kind of like moldy bread dipped in cheap vodka.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well so far I have a 4L fermenting bottle and 1L tall bubble counter/ethanol fume scrubber. All I need is some bamboo chopsticks, tubing and a check valve.

Steve

:

:

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
what is this 2 bottle method? i've never heard of that

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The second bottle is a bubble counter, which also acts as a "filter" to keep much of the non-CO2 stuff from the first bottle out of the tank. It is nothing new, just as nothing in this "method" is new. I think Adam and Eve set up their aquarium this way.

Hoppy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
so using 2 bottles wont increase the co2 output? as apposed to just one bottle

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
so using 2 bottles wont increase the co2 output? as apposed to just one bottle
Two bottles that are both yeast fermenting will increase CO2 production, but my two bottles won't as only the 4L is producing. The 1L tall is simply getting the gas from the 4L and bubbling it through clear water, then feeding the CO2 to the tank through the tubing and chopstick into my canister filter intake tube in my tank corner. So simple even a caveman could do it

Update: Got all the parts except the bamboo chopsticks. Just went with a fine pore Al2O3 air stone for now. I'll eventually get a cheap packet of chopsticks when I find a local store that carries them. Time to glug down a gallon of apple cider and build this puppy.

Steve

:

:

Last edited by audioaficionado; 05-09-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode