Made a DIY lighting stand for my 10g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Made a DIY lighting stand for my 10g

Wish I had taken pics throughout the build but I hadn't thought of making a DIY thread on it before it was made...

Here's a couple pictures of the finished product:
front view:

Side view (thats actually a gloss reflection on the right side and not a white spot):

and one of it with my 10g on it:

I originally bought the 10g to float the plants I had being delivered that I wasn't ready for in my other tank builds. Then when I planted my tanks I realized I actually liked the tank on my desk, but didn't like the ghetto temporary light setup I made...

The parts are three of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

a 2x4, a piece of 5/8" plywood, half of an old aluminum curtainrod my mum was throwing away that just happened to cut perfectly into 3 15" sections, JB weld, spray primer, black gloss spray paint, an 8' black extension cord I cut the end off of, and two wire nuts.

OH yeah, and 3 6500k, 20w compact flourescent bulbs

Funny to think that a month ago I had no planted tanks, and now I have 4...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FINALLY!!! I actually have some planted tanks!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
looks good, simple but attractive. Nicely done.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That's a very nice looking way to use vertical bulbs. It looks elegant!

Hoppy

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys!!

When my parents first saw it they said that I must be opening a pizzaria now that I've built my own heat lamp!!!

My wife was pretty surprised at how it came out, she loves it, and my parents have since retracted their critiques since seeing it with the aquarium on it. I've got to admit that it came out surprisingly like what I envisioned as what i wanted.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A little update on my tank...things are definitely growing nicely...a shot from 20 days later:

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
Wow, lots of growth in 20 days! 10 more and you wont see any of your livestock in there

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Thanks for posting this up...

I was browsing Home Depot recently and saw those lights...thought they might be a useful way to solve my lighting issue on the nano tank...but just couldn't figure out a way to rig them up high enough above the tank.

Problem solved

~~~~~~

NIKON Pimp Club #003
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reybie View Post
Wow, lots of growth in 20 days! 10 more and you wont see any of your livestock in there
I know! I blame it on the hygro that went from three skinny stems to half the tank It'll be getting a trim and minor rescape in a couple weeks for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmic View Post
Thanks for posting this up...

I was browsing Home Depot recently and saw those lights...thought they might be a useful way to solve my lighting issue on the nano tank...but just couldn't figure out a way to rig them up high enough above the tank.

Problem solved
I went round and round and round with those clips trying to make them work, those necks just aren't strrong enough to hold them up properly if you don't set them up like this. I had two of them clipped on either end of my tank with string tied to the tops holding them up above the water while I was using the 10g as a holding tank for plants while I got my bigger tanks set up. I liked the way the tank looked there but had to come up with something that looked better if it was going to stay full time so this thing was born.

Glad my idea works for you too. Post a pic of your variation here if you decide to go with it.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Excellent, excellent and excellent. (you get one for each lamp)

Good build and simple. Relatively inexpensive and not hard to set up. Good job.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, thanks, and thank you GK!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

awesome!

how much did the fixtures and materials run you?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, it was probably $60-$80 but I have to believe it could have been done cheaper. The lamps were all I could find near me when I set up the holding tank, and then I of course needed another of the same when I made it 3. I am sure you could get similar clip lamps for $5-$10 each, I used spray paint because I didn't want to mess with brushes, and used primer because I used spray paint. And I did other things that could have been avoided with time like buying a whole 2x4 and a way overpriced piece of plywood because a whole sheet of 5/8 would have been even more expensive.

If you used available scrap, more economical lamps, and regular brush paint I bet I could have put this thing together for $35-$45 I was just in a hurry to make it all work...

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Cool setup!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerCribben View Post
Well, it was probably $60-$80 but I have to believe it could have been done cheaper. The lamps were all I could find near me when I set up the holding tank, and then I of course needed another of the same when I made it 3. I am sure you could get similar clip lamps for $5-$10 each, I used spray paint because I didn't want to mess with brushes, and used primer because I used spray paint. And I did other things that could have been avoided with time like buying a whole 2x4 and a way overpriced piece of plywood because a whole sheet of 5/8 would have been even more expensive.

If you used available scrap, more economical lamps, and regular brush paint I bet I could have put this thing together for $35-$45 I was just in a hurry to make it all work...
Cool cool

How'd you run your wires?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
Cool setup!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Thanks! Great name! (in the humble opinion of another Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubed45 View Post
Cool cool

How'd you run your wires?
I gave myself a good foot and a half at the end of each clip lamp, and cut a 1" wide channel hollowing the side of the 2x4 that gets screwed down to the base and ran the wires through there and combined the three with a length of heavy duty black extension cord + plug inside this little pvc junction box I attached to the back using wire nuts. Heres a shot of the back of the base:

Each lamp has it's own switch so I didn't need to install one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode