DIY sump/wet dry filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
DIY sump/wet dry filter

I'm not sure what to call it, I've never seen a wet/dry in person and I have no experience with sumps. But I picked up a 90 gallon with glass tops, built in overflow and a stand with a 30 gallon tank underneath for $180.

I am really on a shoestring to complete the setup so I was thinking a sump like vaultboy's (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ilter-who.html) with a few changes.

I have bucket with a gasket in the lid. I'm planning on drilling a hole in the lid for the bulkhead from the overflow. Inside the bucket will be about 4 gallons of lava rock with a hunk of foam on top. The water will rain down through the bucket and flow out the bottom side where I will make a bunch of slots.

The bucket is water tight so I figure the co2 will stay in the bucket like a sealed wet/dry. The rest of the sump will be for plant farming and the return pump. The return pump is a eneim universal 1260. It pumps 635gph.

Questions I have:

1)In bucket sponge on top, lava rock on bottom?

2)Bucket is 5 gallons. Ratio of rock to sponge? (I can also put sponge in the overflow and go all rock or rock or something else in the bucket)

3)Will I have enough flow? I'm thinking the turnover will be about 4-6 times per hour with head.

4)Can I run my co2 line right into the bucket and use it as a reactor, run it into the return pump or add a needle wheel (not preferred, $$$)

Thanks for your input guys!

Justin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode