Custom aquarium: Cost effective glass source - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Custom aquarium: Cost effective glass source

I'm still fairly far out in the planning stages of building a custom size aquarium.

I've not priced glass and was wondering if someone could weigh in on if it would potentially be beneficial to consider using a tank sourced from craigslist or a local club and cut it down to panels, trim to the sizes I need, clean all surfaces of the old silicon and re-assemble with new high strength silicon.

I'm looking to build a 6X1X1 tank. My thoughts are, if I can source a 6' tank that is cracked on one face (if over 24" tall) or leaks, or that someone just plain doesn't want it may be economical to cut it down, and the glass should be thick enough for my shallow application.

(I'm thinking 50 cents a gallon worst case scenario.)

Thoughts, concerns, things I may have not considered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Really old tanks can be very difficult to get the glass clean enough to look good. Apparently the glass gets slightly etched by the water. And, of course some micro scratching is going to be there. Otherwise, that looks like a good source of glass. Do you have the skills needed to cut long narrow pieces of glass even more narrow?

Hoppy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have the basic ability to research thoroughly ahead of time, and enough blissful ignorance and naive optimism to give it a crack.

So far what I'm seeing is nothing new, measure a million times, put the scratch in right the first time and snap.

Naturally this will be compounded greatly by the 3/8-1/2" I'll be dealing with, but the cutting concerns me the least. Treating the edges and assembly are the scarriest part. aside from dropping a panel that large.

I've located a 150 for $50 that has a face and side cracked. That leaves me a face and a side the snap in half and get a 14-15" dimension for my height. Hopefully I'll be able to take the sides off the broken back if taking 6" off the 18" depth proves too difficult.

The seller is also unaware if the base is tempered, but based on what ive seen, it probably is, which means trying to salvage the broken back or still needing another tank to harvest the bottom from.

Regardless, my fresh cut glass quotes are in the $3-400 range. Even if I use two tanks I'll be at a significant savings as long as I can deal with the poor edge finishing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode