DIY Riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Riparium

Alright, so im interested in making my 55 bowfront a riparium.
Im experienced in keeping cichlids, and my 55 currently has a few plants and is filled 80% up. I plan on eventually emptying it to make a proper stand along with cleaning it, as i just have juvi cichlids in there at the moment. They will mostly be sold or going in my 90 hap peacock tank in a few weeks, so this allows me for planning time. I have a fluval powerhead filter and a whisper, both are intank.

What is the easiest and most cost effective way to go about this for a newbie? That includes, planters, lights, etc. My girlfriend already has a number of plants sprouting around the house, and i figured we can mostly combine some of our plants in this riparium. So i will need a way of effectively growing paritally submerged plants, as well as hiding planters for ones that will be above the water line such as my girlfriends herbs/flowers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 05:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
http://ripariumsupply.com/ probably has 95% of what you need. The owner, Hydrophyte, is a very active member/sponsor here. If he sees this thread I'm sure he will point you in the right direction.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks, those would be options, however if i can, im just looking at maybe building these myself from scratch to save money and have a little fun. Im figuring i could use foam or Styrofoam to construct floating docks attached to say cup plant holders which use suction cups to adhere to the glass. Any tips for the DIY route would be great!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Do a search for soap/sponge holders at your local Target or the like. You'll usually get some kind of plastic basket with suction cups attached to them. Typically, however, they are big and shallow and my not be the best looking things.

The Riparium Supply stuff is top notch for sure. The new magnetic planters are awesome.

-Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode