stainless steel mesh search - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
stainless steel mesh search

As the title suggests, I'm searching for some stainless steel mesh but so far not having much of any luck. Spent the day hitting up hardware stores and craft stores but nobody has anything under 1/4" mesh. And online the only sellers I can find want to sell $50+ of it only. So wondering if any of you guys know places to get some SS mesh (primarily looking for types that shrimp wont be able to get through but also if you have suggestions on fine mesh for tying plants to those are welcome as well).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
How large a piece you looking for?

Try McMaster-Carr

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
have seen several sellers on ebay

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Check Amazon for stainless steel mesh. Pick your mesh size - google "mesh size", and you want as small a wire diameter as possible. You should be able to find it from something like 6"x6" to 2'x2'.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hmm, okay, thanks guys.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Check Amazon for stainless steel mesh. Pick your mesh size - google "mesh size", and you want as small a wire diameter as possible. You should be able to find it from something like 6"x6" to 2'x2'.
Agreed, I bought a bunch of it from Amazon, they have all sorts of sizes, wire gauges, and wire spacing width options and the price is decent too.

FINALLY!!! I actually have some planted tanks!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
McMaster Carr has all sorts of this stuff (and just about anything else you'd ever want to build anything.) Their web pages don't play well with links, but if you go to mcmaster.com and search for mesh, then choose wire mesh, it will let you sort by all kinds of qualities. I found a 12x12 sheet of stainless mesh with 0.002" openings for $14. Dunno what size you're after specifically, that's apparently small enough to filter talcum powder from water. For 0.02" openings, it's only $5-6 per 12x12 sheet. 0.02" is the size of sugar crystals, according to their page.

FYI, their shipping prices are fair but they don't give them up front. I think it's because so many of their orders are strange sizes/weights. I've ordered from them numerous times and never had anything like exorbitant charges, and they're a very reputable company.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 06:02 AM
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Anyone have any idea what the best diameter size is for SS mesh (to prevent baby shrimp from being sucked up)?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
Are you making a prefilter?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reybie View Post
Are you making a prefilter?
Yup

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA View Post
Anyone have any idea what the best diameter size is for SS mesh (to prevent baby shrimp from being sucked up)?

If this is for a filter intake you can just use a porous foam or filter floss. If you must use mesh then why not use nylon window screening.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 04:53 PM
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefiend View Post
If this is for a filter intake you can just use a porous foam or filter floss. If you must use mesh then why not use nylon window screening.
That's what I have on there now (foam block covering the intake).. The problem is, it's bulky and ugly.

I'm afraid nylon mesh will leech chemicals into the water column, and I think the holes are too big.. I reckon baby shrimps will get through. Stainless Steel is safe and tested. Also, I need it to be rigid, for the design I have in mind.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (361/100%)
Great info.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
An extra coffee filter you have (the re-usable metal type) may be a possibility as well. Free if you have one, just make sure you have another way to brew tomorrow's cup before you start cutting : )

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
WWGraingers sells it, too. It's called wire cloth (not to be confused with hardware cloth, that's the large mesh stuff you've been seeing). They carry different sized pieces, different gage meshes.

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode