DIY Biological Filtration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Biological Filtration

I recently acquired a Cascade 80 filter. It does not seem to have any biological filtration so I want to add something.

I know a pot scrubber would work but would a magic eraser work as well?

I know people use the magic erasers to clean the tanks but I wasn't sure if it would be good for bacteria build up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just pick up some bio balls or ceramic rings.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Magic eraser is good for cleaning because it has built in soap on it. DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT HAS ANTI MILDEW/BACTERIA/WHATEVER ANTI ANYTHING. Even if someone says that it's safe, it might mess your tank up really badly unless it is well known that it works.

Cheapest alternatives:
-pillow stuffing
-pot scrubbers
-lava rocks
-dollar store sponges that has no soap or anti anything
-dollar store scouring pad with no soap/anti anything

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...ad.php?t=88677

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Magic Erasers come with and with out detergents.
The answer you asked for is no. A Magic Eraser won't make a good bio filter.

A simple option for you is to pick up an AquaClear sponge that will fit, or can be cut to fit, or some form of bio media such as ceramic rings, small bio balls, or just polyester quilt floss.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Petco sells bags of the polyester filler for around $3. Super easy to pack in as little or as much of that stuff as you want to filter.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:25 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I swear I'm gonna fill a media basket with matchbox cars one of these days - just to make a point. I'll see if I've got some micro machines stuffed in a closet somewhere.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
I swear I'm gonna fill a media basket with matchbox cars one of these days - just to make a point. I'll see if I've got some micro machines stuffed in a closet somewhere.
lol, Some say Chevy or Ford work best, but I am a Mopar guy myself. It would make a good point though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Kev I like the keep it simple thinking its unreal how some over think what is neeed hey anyone have any marbles they dont need??/

Anyone can sail a ship in calm waters its when the storms come up shows what one is made of.
ODAAT
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Little plastic army men work pretty well too.

Shaved PVC or scuffed up pvc rings.

-Charlie

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha Im going to try generic sponges for a few days and see how that goes. I also have some lava rock in my tank. Wont that help with biological filtration?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Surface-area.
Benjamin: Just how do you mean that, sir?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nitrifying bacteria will grow on most surfaces that are used in the filter. Sponges, floss, activated carbon...
So if you have any sort of sponges and floss, then you already have homes for the beneficial bacteria.

To add more bio filtration, I would add lots of plants, and do my best to keep the plants happy. (light, CO2 and other nutrients) rather than trying to grow more bacteria.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Algae Grower

Okay I have a problem with the above statement. Please provide advice

Obviously in fishtanks we have both aerobic and anaerobic areas of our tanks

The bacteria that do not particularly like oxygen are nitrogenous bacteria??? responsible for converting the ammonia, nitrite, nitrates etc into less toxic substances.

These bacteria couldn't possibly live in a filtration system could they? Your pumping highly oxygenated water through the system. The bacteria would freak out.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safez View Post
These bacteria couldn't possibly live in a filtration system could they? Your pumping highly oxygenated water through the system. The bacteria would freak out.
While the water does have O2 in it is in balance with the Bacteria. Yes all of the nitrifying bacteria live in places like your filter and your gravel they also live on every surface that is submerged or is in constant contact with the water from your tank. Things like BIO balls and ceramic rings have extremal large amount of surface area per unit volume. So the good bacteria is everywhere that is why should not volume the gravel and clean you filter at the same time because you will whack both colonies of bacteria and you could get an ammonia spike because their is nobody left to convert the amonia...

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Algae Grower

http://aem.asm.org/cgi/reprint/69/3/1866.pdf

In the enrichment section it speaks of the useful denitrifying bacteria being faculative anaerobes...

Think about it... Your tank starts to stink within a few days of 0 filtration and 0 aeration...

Your denitrifying bacteria are still doing their job (converting the ammonia in the fish metabolic waste to nitrite/nitrate) however,

The Aerobic bacteria; whom help break down the other compounds in the fish waste... Are no longer able to do so effectively... Nor does the water have surface agitation to off gas.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode