DIY CO2 Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
DIY CO2 Help!

Hey Guys - So this is my second attempt at DIY CO2. It's been a little over 24 hours and I still have no bubbles! Seems similar to my first attempt bubbles started about 2-3 days later at a very slow rate for maybe about a week then died out.

Here is exactly what I did please take a look;

Well the first time I used silicone on the lid and tape to try to make it air tight, this time I drilled the hole in the cap smaller than the tubing and then pulled it through (this was a method I read that ensures it is air tight)

First I'll start with my mixture.

2 Cups white sugar
1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast (from walmart red package 3 pack)
Filled to about 4 inches short from the top with warm water. Water was warm right around 87-89F. Then I gave it a few shakes and capped it off.

Here are the bottles with my tubing:

Here my lines run up from each bottle about 3 feet to a T connector.

Then right over the tank down to my bubble ladder. the pressure has pushed the water level in the tubing about 1" below water level in the tank.

If I slightly squeeze either bottle I can see that it pushes the water down further in the tubing, so at least in theory it should work?

So, am I not being patient enough? Is there a flaw in my design? Perhaps with the mixture?

I'm struggling with a pretty large algae problem and I know CO2 will help (at least I hope)

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Should of been going by now, typically only takes a couple hours. Might have a bad bunch of yeast. Might also not be giving them a warm enough temp to activate...I think you need closer to 100-110 area. Also helps to make sure everything is sterile. And of course check for leaks in your setup, it looks like those bottles have some foam on them which is typically a sign you are getting CO2 production.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well for the record I was able to find the issue in my DIY setup. Big Surprise a Leak! Put some sealant on the cap and it now bubbles fine.

Check for leaks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
First I think you need to install 2 check valves on each bottle so you don’t get back flow.
Now if you want the right measurements for the sugar and yeast mix buy a red sea turbo co2 refill kit is like $ 8 use it and when is done just refill with sugar and yeast ( I think is better if you get the yeast the comes in a bottle )

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode